The John McLaughlin thread.

Huggy Love

Vintage member
G1wM8jX.jpg

Sir John McLaughlin was born in South Yorkshire, England. As an 11 year old took up guitar and studied very sophisticated music like Flamenco and the music of Django Reinhardt at that young age. He got so good that he actually even gave Jimmy Page guitar lessons at one time, giving lessons to a guitar god, that's saying something.

I will always have a special place in my heart of this man, being a fusion fan I regard him as one of the founding fathers of jazz rock fusion and he is widely regarded as one of the most innovative guitarists of our time. His collaborations with Carlos Santana, Paco De Lucia and Al DiMeola are legendary, and recordings as a solo artist and leader of the groundbreaking fusion group The Mahavishnu Orchestra are required listening for fans of progressive guitar music.

The Groundbreaking band he led.

His straight ahead Jazz period.

A reunion with Carlos.

Feel free to share your Sir John love, tidbits, or anything about this legendary PRS player.

Sorry to say, I've never really listened to any of his music. Guess I need to get on it!

The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire definitely get a lot of rotation in my car during long road trips.

One of my favorite guitarists for years. Saw him on his final tour with Jimmy Herring in 2017, he rocked:

And some old school jazz, McLaughlin style. The Gordon Beck Quartet, "These Boots Are Made For Walking",1968:

Back