The Ireland B&B Shower blog

8/15/13
Alderhaven Country Home B&B, Killarney, County Kerry

Standard shower-in-tub with conventional controls and a hinged glass wall. Good pressure and temperature control. Good amount of hot water.

Sower head is a fine mist and non-adjustable. One hole just left of center slightly less constricted for a laser beam within the stream. (I'm starting to see a pattern here... ) Keep moving.

Multi-suction cup bath mat for good footing. Good water quality for good lathering. Lots of room for toiletries.

Bonus - B&B sits on acres and acres of land with several warrens of rabbits hopping about. Relaxing views watching the bunnies.

8/17/13
Clare Villa B&B, Salthill, County Galway

Small cube shower. Concentric controls: outer ring for flow; inner egg-timer like dial for temperature. Good shower head with satisfying medium-sized drops.

Hard water makes for disappointing lathering.

Cube size is exceedingly small. No need to worry about footing as it is impossible to fall. You can put a round peg into a square hole, but a shower stiffie would serve as an anti-rotation device.

Yes the cube was that small - or...

No, there aren't pics.

8/18
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel, Clifden, County Galway

The self-driving tour had us scheduled to go way North and then into Northern Ireland. After talking with some locals, Northern Ireland didn't seem the wisest choice, so we went off schedule. Si, instead of heading North from Salthill, we went further west to Clifden. going off schedule meant that we'd have to find accommodations on our own, but you can't swing a bagpipe on Ireland's West coats without hitting a B&B.

We drove around Clifden eyeballing the B&Bs and this saw this little lane leading to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel which could not be seen from the road.

This is what we found...
s3a.jpg

Its an old castle that was converted into a hotel. Huge grounds, tennis courts, TWO helipads...

On to the shower...

The bathroom was bigger than some of the B&B bedrooms we stayed in to that point. Clawfoot tub, double vanity, toilet, heated towel rack, slate floor, great window with a view and a huge cube shower.

s3b.jpg

s3c.jpg

The first night I took a bath. With champaign. The water is sfe, clean and potable, but it is the same color as the champaign...

s3d.jpg

Shower the second night. Lots of hot water, good controls and shower head at about 7 1/2 feet. Adjustable from central spray to wide cone with central void to large-drop deluge in non-overlapping steps. Deluge chosen.

Soft water gave great lather. Deluge from that height gave a nice massaging effect without the annoying pulsating or noise normally associated with such.

Large dimensions of cube in no way engage anti-rotation devices.

finish in front of in-room fireplace...

s3e.jpg

8/20
The Newbury Hotel, Mullingar, County Mullingar

Shower in tub. Single control: lift for flow; twist for temperature. Good flow with loads of hot water. Non-adjustable shower head, but good spray. Cloth shower curtain hangs straight and is not a Clingon. Good lathering. Window opposite shower head gives good ventilation.

Oddity: There was a card reading receptacle on the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. Putting your card in the slot turns on the electricity for the whole room. Remove the card and the juice shuts off in about 2 minutes... There was no instruction from the desk during check in for this. That prompted a call down, "Uhhh, there seems to be no electricity in our room..."

8/22
The Clarion Hotel, Dublin

Standard shower in tub. single control with lots of hot, adequately soft water. Shower control on bulkhead that is built out over tub faucets by 8 inches of so, which would make it hard to use the tub controls - you would have to reach under the bulkhead while sitting in the tub. I guess few opt for a bath over a shower. Cloth curtain on straight rod, but still no Klingons. Bathroom overall is quite cramped, door must be closed to enter or exit shower.

Last edited:
8/20
The Newbury Hotel, Mullingar, County Mullingar

Oddity: There was a card reading receptacle on the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. Putting your card in the slot turns on the electricity for the whole room. Remove the card and the juice shuts off in about 2 minutes... There was no instruction from the desk during check in for this. That prompted a call down, "Uhhh, there seems to be no electricity in our room..."

I encountered something like this at Hotel Lev in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Needed the key card in the slot to turn on the lights.

All the fixtures in the bathroom looked American and some even said "American Standard" on them. No bizarro Euro-style fixtures. I nicknamed the shower head the "Slovenian firehose." It was an absolute deluge! Yet it was on a shower-tub arrangement that only had that plate of glass that extends a quarter of the way from the wall to the end of the tub. :iamconfused: I've never figured that out.

The commode seemed to run about 40 gallons per flush too. I've never been anyplace else where they were so lavish with the water!

I first encountered the "put your key-card in a slot to turn on the electricity" in Amsterdam, last year. It's a novel idea, that saves electricity...

Jamie

Back in the US...

9/19 The Hilton Garden Inn, Annapolis, MD

We ended up in a handicap room with a handicap bathroom. The shower is huge (to allow rolling in a wheelchair) without a lip. There is a fold down seat, lots of handrails and plenty of places to put soap and shampoo, etc. There is a single head with a single control. The head has lots of height adjustment and can be hand-held. The water is soft enough for good lather and there is no shortage of hot. Bowed cloth shower curtain to eliminate Klingons.

s4.jpg

Back