The chopping block

There was one in the house most of my life, but I didn’t really play it. As a kid, I used it to transcribe melodies in my head. As an adult, I just kept a keyboard in the house for the girls to bang away at - less intimidating for them than dad’s guitars. The baby grand I bought for my wife’s birthday almost 30 years ago and deliberately let it be her instrument - so I didn’t play it.
So if you're just now learning, the big discipline is that the left and right hand do different things, instead of both focusing on one thing on guitar. I had multiple "technique" lessons in the early days to teach your brain to have your two hands doing different things at the same time. One simple one is to work on a melody with the right hand, while playing a bouncing octave spread with the left, then do the same thing but with the left playing a full chord on the beat... so 1,2,3,4 chords with the left, while playing a simple melody with the right.

Am I boring you yet? LOL

So if you're just now learning, the big discipline is that the left and right hand do different things, instead of both focusing on one thing on guitar. I had multiple "technique" lessons in the early days to teach your brain to have your two hands doing different things at the same time. One simple one is to work on a melody with the right hand, while playing a bouncing octave spread with the left, then do the same thing but with the left playing a full chord on the beat... so 1,2,3,4 chords with the left, while playing a simple melody with the right.

Am I boring you yet? LOL
“Bouncing octaves”?!?!!

See, you’re disco and don’t even know it.

Back