The bar on my Custom 24 sits way lower than that of my CE24

StSpider

I have a 2017 Custom 24 and a 1991 CE24.

The Custom has the current bridge, while the CE has the original, one piece plate and block bridge. The CE bridge has recently been serviced by mr Mann himself, so it's in top shape.

Now, as per title, the bar on the Custom sits WAY lower than that on the CE. I'm talking one inch, maybe more. Both bridges are properly setup and parallel to the top, and even if one was leaning forward it would not justify this difference, it's massive.

It's uncomfortable too, because the bar on my CE sits in the perfect spot while the bar on the Custom is very uncomfortable to use, and has limited range downward. I can post pics if needed.

It this a difference in bridge designs? Is there any fix outside of locking the Custom bar in a vice and bend the bar?

Thank you.

This has long been my biggest gripe about the PRS trem. As someone coming from Strats, I don't know why they've made the bar sit so low.

Check back in with John Mann. He makes a "hi rise" arm that sounds like it may do the trick for you.

Is the radius on both of the arms the same? You can tell by inserting the CE arm into the custom. I have seen a variation in where the arms set over the years. The easy fix is to bend it where you want it.

No, one arm is smaller, one is bigger. Small difference but it makes them not compatible. I might just order a bar with longer insert then. Bummer.

No, one arm is smaller, one is bigger. Small difference but it makes them not compatible. I might just order a bar with longer insert then. Bummer.
Interesting. I would think a core CU24 and a CE that old would have the same size bar in them. I thought those were all the same size on the US models from way back.

A 91 CE and a New CU24 should have the same size bar , I feel like you have the wrong bar for your CU ( the SE and newer CE bars are smaller )
If you get a replacement bar from John Mann I believe you will be happy

I’ll try and measure them when I get the chance. I did compare them because I thought I could swap arms and wanted to check out if the difference was in the angle between the part inserted and the arm (it’s not). It is possible that the arm on the custom is not original, it came with replaced strap buttons afterall.

Ok so I compared the bars again. The one that came with the Custom is indeed smaller.
There’s also some pitting on the metal (which I thought was weird) that again makes me think it’s an import product. I think it's safe to assume the shop bought the guitar without a bar and slapped one from an SE in.

The bar from the CE does in fact fit the bridge from the Custom. I thought it didn’t but it turns out it was only because the adjustment screw on the Custom's bridge was tightened up, preventing the bigger arm to go down.

Other than that, the bars are virtually identical in lenght and angle. The “custom” arm sits right in the CE bridge, the CE arm sits too low in the Custom bridge.

I have NO idea why that is, if either bridge has been modified in some way or if the first generation bridge had a less deep hole for the bar to drop in.

But whatever it is I hope the hi-rise mannmade bar can fix it.

I have NO idea why that is, if either bridge has been modified in some way or if the first generation bridge had a less deep hole for the bar to drop in.

It's most likely the latter. I can't remember now from when I had a Mil-Com bridge, but John's original design was once-piece (vs. separate plate and block) so I'd bet it wasn't drilled as deep as the Gen II and beyond (separate plate + block).

Regardless, you can count on John Mann to fix you up!

I have a 2017 Custom 24 and a 1991 CE24.

The Custom has the current bridge, while the CE has the original, one piece plate and block bridge. The CE bridge has recently been serviced by mr Mann himself, so it's in top shape.

Now, as per title, the bar on the Custom sits WAY lower than that on the CE. I'm talking one inch, maybe more. Both bridges are properly setup and parallel to the top, and even if one was leaning forward it would not justify this difference, it's massive.

It's uncomfortable too, because the bar on my CE sits in the perfect spot while the bar on the Custom is very uncomfortable to use, and has limited range downward. I can post pics if needed.

It this a difference in bridge designs? Is there any fix outside of locking the Custom bar in a vice and bend the bar?

Thank you.
Don't put it in a vice. Find a pipe or tubing that's about 2 inch diameter. Diameter really isn't important just something around 2 inch.

Lay that bend on that pipe and use a non nurled hammer to GENTLY tap the back of the bend. Just be careful as it will bend pretty easy and you don't want to go too far.

If you have a vice, use that to clamp the pipe or tubing.

There was a period of time where I think PRS was going for a “commonality of parts” thing with the trem arms and the bushing.

It was actually what got me asking around if there was a change in manufacturing.

My White Westie came with what was effectively an SE trem arm. It had the same diameter as an SE, and also had the longer down shaft (the part that goes into the bushing) and a rounded bottom. It was also chrome plated and smooth rather than the previous arms (I was used to) that have a different texture, OP may have gotten the same thing?

I greatly prefer the arms that go in all the way, so the bar has a lower profile, so I regularly modify them by cutting the rounded bottom off and then compensating by bending the arm.

Why not drop a small compression spring in the hole? Length of spring will determine height. Check this out:

I think the system works better with screw-in tremolos. With PRS, where you just push it in, I don't think it would work as well because I generally don't tighten my trem arm much, I like it moving relatively freely in the socket,

Anyway I ordered the mannmade longer arm and will update when it gets here.

I think the system works better with screw-in tremolos. With PRS, where you just push it in, I don't think it would work as well because I generally don't tighten my trem arm much, I like it moving relatively freely in the socket,

Anyway I ordered the mannmade longer arm and will update when it gets here.
I'm not a fan of screw in trem arms myself. What I don't like is the play I feel when using trem. Obviously, if you screw it a little tighter you don't feel that but I like to be able to move it with a flick of my finger so having it loose creates play.

It bothers me. That's one of the things I did not like with the torero I had. Also, I sold it with a ton of goodies installed and took an absolute BATH...........ugh.

Some guys just need a custom length, custom bent tremolo arm to be comfortable. Jeff Beck would be one of those guys.

He would be holding the arm, manipulating the volume control, flipping the selector switch and picking the strings all at the same time!

So all of his tremolo arms were custom made.

Some guys just need a custom length, custom bent tremolo arm to be comfortable. Jeff Beck would be one of those guys.

He would be holding the arm, manipulating the volume control, flipping the selector switch and picking the strings all at the same time!

So all of his tremolo arms were custom made.
I wouldn't dare to compare myself to Jeff Beck, and I'm not a big tremolo user anyway (my PRS are the only tremolo equipped guitars I currently own, and they were both acquired in the past few years), but the arm on my CE is super comfortable, I can play, stringskip, do everything while holding it in the hand for some quick vibrato, on the custom tho I just cannot.

I wouldn't dare to compare myself to Jeff Beck, and I'm not a big tremolo user anyway (my PRS are the only tremolo equipped guitars I currently own, and they were both acquired in the past few years), but the arm on my CE is super comfortable, I can play, stringskip, do everything while holding it in the hand for some quick vibrato, on the custom tho I just cannot.
Well I would dare to compare myself to Jeff Beck. And let me say this...:rolleyes:...I'm not as good! :(

Jeff's my favorite guitarist. Has been for over 50 years. I sure liked the world a little better knowing he was in it.

UPDATE: I finally had the longer Mannmade arm in my Custom. Much better. It sits at a comfortable height, also the fact that the arm is the right size - as opposed to the SE arm it had when I bought it - makes the trem So responsive.

Pretty happy with it.

Back