Thank You, IRS... now we get to pay tax on guitar sales. Lovely

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can thank Mr. Trump for that. If you can remember, in 2017 he went on a rampage about people selling and buying on the internet and not paying taxes, especially "those hippie musicians". He went on and on about it. At first states and the IRS didn't want to charge the online sales tax but Mr. Trump insisted and kept on pressuring them to do so and so they finally conceded. This new policy about the $600 or more having to be reported to the IRS is a result of this administration allegedly claiming to be cracking down on "tax evaders", but of course that only means that they're still not going to tax the wealthy but are doubling down on the little man. Therefore neither Ebay or Reverb will ever again see another one of my dollars.
Or, we got off easy by buying online for years, and not paying legitimate sales tax on our purchases, which amongst other things REALLY hurt the mom and pop shops who have to charge sales tax when they sell something. Let’s not confused regular sales tax with the subject of this thread though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can thank Mr. Trump for that. If you can remember, in 2017 he went on a rampage about people selling and buying on the internet and not paying taxes, especially "those hippie musicians". He went on and on about it. At first states and the IRS didn't want to charge the online sales tax but Mr. Trump insisted and kept on pressuring them to do so and so they finally conceded. This new policy about the $600 or more having to be reported to the IRS is a result of this administration allegedly claiming to be cracking down on "tax evaders", but of course that only means that they're still not going to tax the wealthy but are doubling down on the little man. Therefore neither Ebay or Reverb will ever again see another one of my dollars.

Great first post. :rolleyes: < That little dude is indeed rolling his eyes.

Last edited:
As a federally licensed mortgage officer, I can tell you a few of the things the IRS is actually trying to crack down on and why. We have to take “red flag” continuing education classes every year, and (while I’ve never done so) are LEGALLY obligated to report suspicious income or tax activity directly to the IRS. In fact, if I saw one and didn’t report it, I could lose my license. And I’ll tell you first to be very clear: they don’t care about your guitar you sold for over $600 unless you are a business, or are selling things for profit, and without filing taxes as a business.

My wife told me a few years back, about a woman who goes daily to local Goodwill stores and other thrift stores, and she buys all kinds of stuff. She brings it home, sells it online (mostly EBay) for profit, and claims no income from this “business.” Yet the woman who has no retirement income and no SS income, and no income of any other type, has a 2 year old mid sized vehicle, owns a home, and has over $10K in the bank. (Yes, I know, because she actually called me for a mortgage refi).

According to my wife, this woman comes in every day and ships multiple packages. At one point, the Goodwill store was right next to the post office. My wife said this lady would go in the store, take pictures, post stuff for sale on eBay, sell it, then go to the store and buy it and walk it right next door and ship it. At one point, she told my wife that she was making over $1000/month profit just selling female Levi’s jeans to buyers in Japan. There were so hard to get over there, that what she could buy here for $3-5 a pair, would bring $50 to $70 plus international shipping fees, even used! Certain types of womens purses and shoes, same thing. She would sell on eBay for 10 times what she paid.

At one point, this lady even said that she wasn’t paying any income tax on any of this income… and mentioned that “she never sold anything over $600 because then the IRS would know.” LOL. So far, she’s flown under the radar for over 10 years… but I have clients who are IRS agents, and as soon as someone finds out that this lady owns a home, car, has money in the bank, etc and never claims income or files tax returns, you can trust me that they’ll be sniffing around soon.

Must of us are wage earners who pay their fair share (and more) of their taxes, but there are a TON of people out there who don’t. The IRS is not “out to get you.” They are looking for more and more ways to find those who are skirting around the rules and not paying any taxes, or nothing paying them on a legitimate income source which they should be paying on.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a federally licensed mortgage officer, I can tell you a few of the things the IRS is actually trying to crack down on and why. We have to take “red flag” continuing education classes every year, and (while I’ve never done so) are LEGALLY obligated to report suspicious income or tax activity directly to the IRS. In fact, if I saw one and didn’t report it, I could lose my license. And I’ll tell you first to be very clear: they don’t care about your guitar you sold for over $600 unless you are a business, or are selling things for profit, and without filing taxes as a business.

My wife told me a few years back, about a woman who goes daily to local Goodwill stores and other thrift stores, and she buys all kinds of stuff. She brings it home, sells it online (mostly EBay) for profit, and claims no income from this “business.” Yet the woman who has no retirement income and no SS income, and no income of any other type, has a 2 year old mid sized vehicle, owns a home, and has over $10K in the bank. (Yes, I know, because she actually called me for a mortgage refi).

According to my wife, this woman comes in every day and ships multiple packages. At one point, the Goodwill store was right next to the post office. My wife said this lady would go in the store, take pictures, post stuff for sale on eBay, sell it, then go to the store and buy it and walk it right next door and ship it. At one point, she told my wife that she was making over $1000/moth profit just selling female Levi’s jeans to buyers in Japan. There were so hard to get over there, that what she could buy here for $3-5 a pair, would bring $50 to $70 plus international shipping fees, even used! Certain types of womens purses and shoes, same thing. She would sell on eBay for 10 times what she paid.

At one point, this lady even said that she wasn’t paying any income tax on any of this income… and mentioned that “she never sold anything over $600 because then the IRS would know.” LOL. So far, she’s flown under the radar for over 10 years… but I have clients who are IRS agents, and as soon as someone finds out that this lady owns a home, car, has money in the bank, etc and never claims income or files tax returns, you can trust me that they’ll be sniffing around soon.

Must of us are wage earners who pay their fair share (and more) of their taxes, but there are a TON of people out there who don’t. The IRS is not “out to get you.” They are looking for more and more ways to find those who are skirting around the rules and not paying any taxes, or nothing paying them on a legitimate income source which they should be paying on.
This is great info, @DreamTheaterRules, thanks.

(And all of this could be obviated by making Musk/Bezos/Zuck/etc. pay a couple of percent...)

According to my wife, this woman comes in every day and ships multiple packages. At one point, the Goodwill store was right next to the post office. My wife said this lady would go in the store, take pictures, post stuff for sale on eBay, sell it, then go to the store and buy it and walk it right next door and ship it. At one point, she told my wife that she was making over $1000/moth profit just selling female Levi’s jeans to buyers in Japan. There were so hard to get over there, that what she could buy here for $3-5 a pair, would bring $50 to $70 plus international shipping fees, even used! Certain types of womens purses and shoes, same thing. She would sell on eBay for 10 times what she paid.

I'm surprised she gets away with that, because Ebay should be sending her a 1099 every year. Mrs Aahzz operates a business under a similar model - buys stuff at thrift stores, sells online. It does pretty well, but we report everything and have a registered business name. It shouldn't matter that none of her individual sales didn't hit the threshold for reporting, Ebay tracks total sales for the year - as does PayPal, or the other payment processors. I suppose she could have multiple accounts, but it's going to catch up to her eventually.

but it's going to catch up to her eventually.

I can't believe it hasn't already... I guess she is divorced, and was receiving alimony and child support, about 10 years ago when she started doing this. By 5 years ago, both had ended, and she was completely sustaining herself on these sales. When I talked to her, I advised her not to do an application with me or any other bank, and told her why. That she would be alerting people that she had income and she wasn't claiming it. I also asked her how she had gotten away with it for so long. Now, I have underwriting level self employed income analysis, and I've seen pretty much everything over the last 30 years, but her answer was "because I buy it all used, there are no receipts and they don't know how much I'm making. Without digging further, it's possible she could say report that she paid $50 or $48 for jeans, sold them for $50 and after paypal fee's didn't make any profit. But nobody would think that anyone would go to the trouble of packing and shipping multiple items a day, and not be making any profit.

You can get a car loan with "claimed" income if you have any money in the bank and good credit. But if she every does apply for a mortgage, I'd guess the IRS will be after her within 12 months. And the paper trail is there to get her in serious trouble with them... And for those of you who don't already know this, the IRS plays DIRTY! They charge the highest interest rate allowed by law, plus penalties. What you owe them can quadruple in just a few years.

I can't believe it hasn't already... I guess she is divorced, and was receiving alimony and child support, about 10 years ago when she started doing this. By 5 years ago, both had ended, and she was completely sustaining herself on these sales. When I talked to her, I advised her not to do an application with me or any other bank, and told her why. That she would be alerting people that she had income and she wasn't claiming it. I also asked her how she had gotten away with it for so long. Now, I have underwriting level self employed income analysis, and I've seen pretty much everything over the last 30 years, but her answer was "because I buy it all used, there are no receipts and they don't know how much I'm making. Without digging further, it's possible she could say report that she paid $50 or $48 for jeans, sold them for $50 and after paypal fee's didn't make any profit. But nobody would think that anyone would go to the trouble of packing and shipping multiple items a day, and not be making any profit.

You can get a car loan with "claimed" income if you have any money in the bank and good credit. But if she every does apply for a mortgage, I'd guess the IRS will be after her within 12 months. And the paper trail is there to get her in serious trouble with them... And for those of you who don't already know this, the IRS plays DIRTY! They charge the highest interest rate allowed by law, plus penalties. What you owe them can quadruple in just a few years.

If she's buying from Goodwill or the like there are absolutely receipts...yeah, she's headed for serious deep issues. I suppose if she's paying cash, there's no findable paper trail...

If she's buying from Goodwill or the like there are absolutely receipts...yeah, she's headed for serious deep issues. I suppose if she's paying cash, there's no findable paper trail...
Oh yeah, I know there ARE receipts, but I'm sure she's not using them. When I questioned her directly, she was trying to play dumb... "surely they don't care if I make $10 on a knickknack, after I went to all the trouble and expense to drive to the store, buy it, pay for packaging materials and ship it." I said "no, they don't care that you did that, but since you do it multiple times a day, they want you to create a business and file taxes on the income." I even explained to her that she could write off "expenses" like gas from driving from store to store, boxes, packing materials, etc. But she acted like it was no big deal. I even told her "listen, I'm 100% commission, so I don't get paid for saying NO to you, but I'm not only telling you no that I won't do your loan, I'm telling you that you should not apply anywhere else." Then I explained to her that if I saw evidence of what she had told me, I'm legally obligated to file a SARS report and that the IRS would be coming down on her soon thereafter, and that I was trying to protect her from that by telling her not to make official application with me or anyone else.

When I told my wife last night that I was telling about her story, she informed me that the lady got a job soon after we talked. I guess I scared her enough that she went and got a job so that she could have a legitimate income and all the unclaimed income wouldn't be so obvious. Well, that and that she wants to buy another home and I told her she needed legitimate income to qualify.

I don't mind paying taxes, but that's too much. I understand you can pay taxes on selling expensive equipment, real estate, and other expensive things, but we sell musical instruments at a reduced price. I don't think I have to pay anything if I tell my guitar or drums.
And always when I buy something myself, I pay for it officially, from my account through PayStubCreator. But those kinds of restrictions that the government creates will lead to the development of a black market. People will sell secretly using cash, and their translation won't be traceable. Therefore transactions won't be regulated by the state.

Last edited:
I’ve got a friend, who’s uncle’s cousin has the inside scoop on many things. That includes this.

It turns out a Congressional aide has a hankering for Brazilian Rosewood-necked 513s. With used prices going through the roof, she decided to do something about it. She drafted the attachment to the bill that allowed for the 1099 rule change. She may not get the guitar, but she will stick it to the guy who’s going to profit on selling it.

Blame nice guitars.

Omg, make those who really have money pay more taxes. I once read a funny thing that I can't stop thinking about. If the richest person on the planet gave every person alive today a billion, he would have another 200 billion left. How can you live in peace, knowing that all your problems can be solved by one single act of "charity"? LOL. But in fact, our government is eager to tax .... what? Buying a guitar? No matter how much I try to comprehend tax policy through https://youngandthrifty.ca/, the imagination of our legislators is much faster than mine, it's true.

Last edited:
Omg, make those who really have money pay more taxes. I once read a funny thing that I can't stop thinking about. If the richest person on the planet gave every person alive today a billion, he would have another 200 billion left. How can you live in peace….?

The current population of the world is 7,900,000,000. So, based upon what you say you “read,” the amount of money the richest person in the world would give away is:

7,900,000,000 x $1,000,000,000 = $7,900,000,000,000,000,000

And after he gives it away, he still has $200,000,000,000 left.

Multiple sources state that Elon Musk is “the richest man on the planet” with $280,000,000,000. You might want to check your math.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back