Thank You, IRS... now we get to pay tax on guitar sales. Lovely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the bright side...the future Queen is a total smoke show! We got some old dude that stammers and sleeps in public. So...there is that.:D

Sometimes ya gotta laugh to keep from crying. ;)

Scott, forgive in advance as I'm not attacking you, but your comment is a perfect example of the greater problem. You're buying into the belief that this is a partisan issue when it's not. Both sides of the isle are at fault for our financial situation here in the US and have been for decades now. We are pretty much the only country that allows legally allows lobbying of our politicians, which means the corporations, special interests and the rich have more say in our country then we the voters do. By buying into the whole "the other side did it" just keeps us all divided, which means we're unable to compromise and attack the greater problem together, among which would be banning or heavily restricting lobbies, instituting term limits from the highest offices in the land all the way down to the local level and eliminating tax breaks and subsidies for companies and the rich that neither need nor deserve it. If you really want to see true and equitable leveling of the playing field, eliminating tax-free status for religions would be another step in that direction. These would make a hell of a lot more difference than the old and tired Libertarian arguments of trickle-down economics or taxation on what would equate to an honor system.

Out tax system has been broken for years, but we need to hold EVERYONE involved responsible for it, not just the ones we personally dislike, if we're going to make it change.

Scott, forgive in advance as I'm not attacking you, but your comment is a perfect example of the greater problem. You're buying into the belief that this is a partisan issue when it's not. Both sides of the isle are at fault for our financial situation here in the US and have been for decades now. We are pretty much the only country that allows legally allows lobbying of our politicians, which means the corporations, special interests and the rich have more say in our country then we the voters do. By buying into the whole "the other side did it" just keeps us all divided, which means we're unable to compromise and attack the greater problem together, among which would be banning or heavily restricting lobbies, instituting term limits from the highest offices in the land all the way down to the local level and eliminating tax breaks and subsidies for companies and the rich that neither need nor deserve it. If you really want to see true and equitable leveling of the playing field, eliminating tax-free status for religions would be another step in that direction. These would make a hell of a lot more difference than the old and tired Libertarian arguments of trickle-down economics or taxation on what would equate to an honor system.

Out tax system has been broken for years, but we need to hold EVERYONE involved responsible for it, not just the ones we personally dislike, if we're going to make it change.

I couldn't agree more with everything you just said. I was jokingly comparing the country's. I respect you for making me aware of how my comment came across. I choose no sides anymore, it's all just like you said, broken. Thanks for the heads up my man.

I couldn't agree more with everything you just said. I was jokingly comparing the country's. I respect you for making me aware of how my comment came across. I choose no sides anymore, it's all just like you said, broken. Thanks for the heads up my man.

No problem. That's what I love about this place. We're all grown-ups.

She could be a Martian as far as I'm concerned. So classy.

e27689d5-2626-408f-9935-d34d35bb19a3_text.gif

I remember my grandfather griping about taxes. He grew to maturity in an age when there was only an income tax during wartime. Lucky guy!

I remember my father complaining about taxes. He used the old, "Death and taxes" line occasionally, as in, "The only sure things are death and taxes." I miss him. Death musta been worse than taxes, because he was no longer with us all too soon.

I'm of two minds in relation to taxes. On the one hand, we have a society that agrees to do things, and paying for those things requires taxation. Like, police, the military, the fire department, the folks who inspect food, etc. On the other hand, everyone hates the money the gov'mint spends on stuff they don't personally care about, and calls it 'waste'.

My thinking is that we Americans live in a very rich country, and we're pretty darn lucky. I'm glad for what the US has. It's never, ever gonna be perfect, because there are far too many opinions. But it's pretty good. So I've stopped complaining about taxes.

I wish life was perfectly run in accordance with my every belief, but it isn't. I've adapted. Democracy is an imperfect thing, but it beats the alternatives.

To be clear us this capital gain/potential tax in addition to the sales tax they are already collecting “on my behalf” correct? In other words there’s no way I’ll get any of that sales tax back if everything I sold was at a loss right?

Sales tax is collected at point of sale and is charged to the buyer. The sales tax collected is then skimmed off the total sales price and handed over to the state in which the buyer paid the tax.

If you sold your goods at a loss (meaning, less than what you originally paid for the item), and the total amount of profit you made on sales was less than $600, no capital gains tax is collected. You MIGHT, however, need to provide proof of that with a 1099-K that Reverb provides each year. If Reverb is incorporating this into their sales structure, you can bet eBay will not lag too far afield. As the IRS changes its tax policy, so online used sales sites will need to also.

The only difference that may occur is when cash is exchanged in local in-person sales, such as FB Marketplace or Craigslist. Sales reporting has not been required for these types of transactions, because enforcing reporting for this type of sales is virtually impossible.

I remember my grandfather griping about taxes. He grew to maturity in an age when there was only an income tax during wartime. Lucky guy!

I remember my father complaining about taxes. He used the old, "Death and taxes" line occasionally, as in, "The only sure things are death and taxes." I miss him. Death musta been worse than taxes, because he was no longer with us all too soon.

I'm of two minds in relation to taxes. On the one hand, we have a society that agrees to do things, and paying for those things requires taxation. Like, police, the military, the fire department, the folks who inspect food, etc. On the other hand, everyone hates the money the gov'mint spends on stuff they don't personally care about, and calls it 'waste'.

My thinking is that we Americans live in a very rich country, and we're pretty darn lucky. I'm glad for what the US has. It's never, ever gonna be perfect, because there are far too many opinions. But it's pretty good. So I've stopped complaining about taxes.

I wish life was perfectly run in accordance with my every belief, but it isn't. I've adapted. Democracy is an imperfect thing, but it beats the alternatives.

Exactly. I feel sad for the people that spend all day being angry about things they can't control or what other people are doing. Usually, it's an outlet for their own unresolved disappointment or anger with things in their own lives. Life is short and focus on the truly important things. Personally, my daughter suffers from severe anxiety and my son is on the spectrum (luckily, he's on the extremely high functioning end), so I count myself very lucky in that they will both grow up to be normal, full functioning adults with their own particular quirks. I can't waste time being preoccupied and pissed off with something most of us spend 15 minutes doing once every 2-4 years (or less as I mail mine in).

Exactly. I feel sad for the people that spend all day being angry about things they can't control or what other people are doing. Usually, it's an outlet for their own unresolved disappointment or anger with things in their own lives. Life is short and focus on the truly important things. Personally, my daughter suffers from severe anxiety and my son is on the spectrum (luckily, he's on the extremely high functioning end), so I count myself very lucky in that they will both grow up to be normal, full functioning adults with their own particular quirks. I can't waste time being preoccupied and pissed off with something most of us spend 15 minutes doing once every 2-4 years (or less as I mail mine in).

I can empathize with this. There are time when stressors just get the better of you and you can't help but feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest. My feeling is that if you let others control your life, you really shouldn't complain.

The only issue is when authority figures forcibly try to control other adults' (or children not their own) behavior, when clearly, nothing is warranted unless the person forcibly being controlled has done something drastically wrong.

If that's the case, I'd like to see the controllers state their case as to why the person who has done nothing wrong is being forcibly controlled. If there is no case, why can't everyone be treated equally in the sight (and virtue) of the law?

A person who is humble enough to accept counsel is wise, but if the justice being meted out is based on nothing but unproven accusations or opinions, I strongly suggest the ones meting out counsel take a look at their own lives and compare.

Let's see...how clean are your floors? Today I could not fulfill my task of cleaning my floors today because of stress-related chest pains sending me to the ER. The tests came back negative, but it was a day of sitting away from Covid-infected people with crying children and waiting for the better part of 6 hours while lab tests were conducted. I'm just hoping that being among Covid-infected people hasn't dampened my otherwise happy-go-lucky sense of humor. And FTR, I sat next to a large yellow cone that said, "Caution: Wet Floor."

I can empathize with this. There are time when stressors just get the better of you and you can't help but feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest. My feeling is that if you let others control your life, you really shouldn't complain.

The only issue is when authority figures forcibly try to control other adults' (or children not their own) behavior, when clearly, nothing is warranted unless the person forcibly being controlled has done something drastically wrong.

If that's the case, I'd like to see the controllers state their case as to why the person who has done nothing wrong is being forcibly controlled. If there is no case, why can't everyone be treated equally in the sight (and virtue) of the law?

A person who is humble enough to accept counsel is wise, but if the justice being meted out is based on nothing but unproven accusations or opinions, I strongly suggest the ones meting out counsel take a look at their own lives and compare.

Let's see...how clean are your floors? Today I could not fulfill my task of cleaning my floors today because of stress-related chest pains sending me to the ER. The tests came back negative, but it was a day of sitting away from Covid-infected people with crying children and waiting for the better part of 6 hours while lab tests were conducted. I'm just hoping that being among Covid-infected people hasn't dampened my otherwise happy-go-lucky sense of humor. And FTR, I sat next to a large yellow cone that said, "Caution: Wet Floor."

Oof! I hope all is well now.

Oof! I hope all is well now.

Yeah, I'm doing OK now...was just a bit peeved by the recent news. (I'm not dead yet!). Has happened more than once in my life and undoubtedly, if I complain, I'll be forced to pay more. That's the price of being able to complain in life. Only problem was, I didn't order the Chateau de Nouf for table 5. They can pay their own tab.

Last edited:
Sorry. I think we should all really try to live in the present, and only review the past when we can learn from it. Otherwise, why not hope for a better future? I personally find TV rather mundane and too violent or immoral to be of any interest. I don't mind viewing educational, nature, or PBS programming, but I don't waste time trying to keep up with the latest jokes or ever-changing trends in this world.

We live at much too fast a pace to appreciate things of lasting quality. No child left behind? Sorry, you folks can go about your own busy hectic lives.

I'll stay here and guard the beer fridge and sit on the sofa until you regain your senses. Don't forget to feed the cat, clean the kitchen, lock up, and put out the porch light. Time for a reality check, and my reality is now officially heading for some sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back