Ted Nugent auctioning rare PRS guitars including a 1976 build

Still gnashing my teeth. I really wanted that ‘76 and am kicking myself for letting it slip away. I hope someone here got it. Though I suspect it is on its way to a retailer who will put it back on the streets for 3x the auction price.
It looked like it might go for a great price until it went live. I deferred bidding when I realized it was probably the one you hoped stayed secret.

I thought about taking a run at the '76, but the pre-live bidding took it out of the range I was willing to go. Can't believe the camp thing.

But take heart - there was a Gretsch auction I was watching. They were selling some Traveling Wilbury guitars, which were reportedly not great (no personal knowledge, only going by what someone I know said in another forum) were going above $2k.

I thought about taking a run at the '76, but the pre-live bidding took it out of the range I was willing to go. Can't believe the camp thing.

But take heart - there was a Gretsch auction I was watching. They were selling some Traveling Wilbury guitars, which were reportedly not great (no personal knowledge, only going by what someone I know said in another forum) were going above $2k.
There were a couple of variations, the most expensive listed about $500 and clearly were not good enough to be sold at that price. I felt they scattered them through the auction to disguise how many there were.

Still gnashing my teeth. I really wanted that ‘76 and am kicking myself for letting it slip away. I hope someone here got it. Though I suspect it is on its way to a retailer who will put it back on the streets for 3x the auction price.
It will be interesting if they do. I believe it says "Gibson" on the headstock. With Play Authentic and all that I am not sure how they could sell it.

I believe it says "Gibson" on the headstock.

That’s an inlay made from a piano key, not a sticker. The idea was to use the space for a hand-written signature.

I'd take a core SC594 over that 45-year-old bag of sh!t any day.

That “bag of sh!t” was the first guitar a 19-year-old Paul Smith made for a rock star. He made it in his bedroom.

Probably because NO ONE knew that Uncle Ted was going to be auctioning off his stuff.

I learned about the auction a few weeks ago and was shocked that nobody posted it here sooner. The black SC-J is cool. The Archtop proto is historically significant despite obvious aesthetic issues. And the ‘76... well... someone with deeper pockets knew.

Last edited:
That’s an inlay made from a piano key, not a sticker. The idea was to use the space for a hand-written signature.

That “bag of sh!t” was the first guitar a 19-year-old Paul Smith made for a rock star. He made it in his bedroom.

I learned about the auction a few weeks ago and was shocked that nobody posted it here sooner. The black SC-J is cool. The Archtop proto is historically significant despite obvious aesthetic issues. And the ‘76... well... someone with deeper pockets knew.
Forgive my sarcasm. Undoubtedly, the history of that "Bedroom 76" is what will sell that guitar. And yes, that's pretty badass. I'd actually like to hear the story behind it. No doubt the stoke of "building a custom one-off for Nugent" added to the bonfire already burning within.

I built a classical guitar in my bedroom in 2001 and it's still unfinished in its case, owing to a lack of desire to finish French polishing it. ... because it has about a centimeter of shellac on it. And the top is cracked. And it is HOT GARBAGE. Even if I did finish it, I'm certain Al Di Meola would resolutely tell me to f^ck off, so the future of that guitar is certain. Going nowhere, and fast.

Back