Technical Question re: Wiring of 5-position Blade on 22-fret, Dual Humbucker Guitar

JDutch

Hey, guys. I recently purchased a stunning P22 Artist Package. The guitar sounds as good as it looks in positions 1, 3 and 5 of the 5-position blade, but I'm not getting much use out of positions 2 and 4. In particular, I can't use position 4 at all. I believe it's the inner coils of both pickups, in an attempt to replicate the "in between" tones of a stratocaster, but the pickups are spaced too far apart for this to work, in my opinion, and the tone is very metallic sounding for some reason.

I was wondering if position 2 could be changed to be the outer coil of each humbucker (in the hopes of achieving a telecaster type tone) and if position 4 could be changed to just the outer coil of the neck humbucker (in the hopes of achieving a stratocaster neck pickup tone).

Does anyone know if this is possible? And, even if it's possible, how likely it is to approximate the desired tones?

Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats on the guitar! Pics?

I'm not going to be any help on the wiring schematics, but wanted to chime in on my experience. I generally feel the same way you do about positions 2 and 4...whle playing by myself. With the band, it's a different story. I love position 4 for the clean rhythm parts, when there are other instruments in the mix. It sits back, but doesn't disappear. I also like it for the dynamic shift going to full neck or full bridge.

I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks, too.

PS: are you running the piezo through an amp (electric amp or acoustic) or through a PA? How do you like it?

PS: are you running the piezo through an amp (electric amp or acoustic) or through a PA? How do you like it?

I always run through an electric amp. For me, the joy of owning piezo equipped instruments is being able to simplify my rig. So, while I recognize that it'd sound great through an acoustic amp, I'd prefer not to have to lug one around. Also, I think it sounds great through my regular amps anyway.

Holy Crap! I just saw the NGD post with your P22. That is gorgeous!

Thanks! Much appreciated.

SD Triple Shots come to mind.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered triple shots before. Do you know if the SD TSs would interefere with the normal operation of the 5-way blade if TSs were set to operate in parallel, which is how the pickups are set to operates now?

Back