Tarnishing on singlecut pickups

jaz9090

Hi,

I bought my singlecut about 8 years ago and it has gained some tarnishing on the pickup covers and other hardware, I believe they are nickle plated. I was just wondering whether the general consensus here is to polish them up or leave to tarnish and I guess by extension corrode somewhat?

Apparently the only way to replace the pickup cover is to replace the pickup, I am just nervous about the seemingly inevitable effect of corrosion.

Thanks
James

You can polish them right up with several polishes on the market. I've used Flitz, a German product, but some folks swear by Blue Magic, designed for polishing mag wheels on cars, and that's what PRS recommends.

PRS does use nickel plating instead of chrome. I like it, it's traditional looking, and Paul seems to think it has sonic properties.

The plating takes polishes very well, and it's like good silver. A little elbow grease and you have a beautiful polished look.

Last edited:
Yeah, this too ^^^ If it actually is just tarnish then this should work. If the nickel plating is actually wearing away, then you'd need to replace them.

The Blue Magic works pretty well, but it's just the nature of nickel to develop a patina.

You could unsolder the nickel covers and replace with chrome, but I don't think it's worth it. The patina is part of the instrument's provenance.

After you polish them, apply a good coat of quality wax, using care not to load up the pole areas. It will offer even more protection. Even if your nickel is aging, which would not be surprising after nearly a decade, especially if you play daily , or near that, the wax will make them look good. I agree that natural wear is something a good guitar earns.

Back