Taking a Flyer (NGD, soon!)

RC Mike

Been looking for an acoustic for a couple of weeks. I saw a 2013 Angelus SE show up on Guitar Center for less than $500, in “excellent” condition. Bought it sight unseen through Musician’s Friend, which gives me 8% in store credit. Shows up on Wednesday.

I’m super excited! I’m still a skill-less new player, but thought it would be fun. I’ve got visions of playing along with the wife’s piano. Our eight month old loves piano and is learning to accept my guitar sounds. I think it’ll make him smile.

It showed up on Thursday. I’m thrilled so far. Great condition, and doesn’t appear to have a lot of miles on it. There’s a spot where the neck binding pulled away from the fingerboard by less than 1/16th of an inch that’s about 1/4 inch long, but I can fix that.

It’s a Standard. Came with a factory electronics set, which I wasn’t expecting. Haven’t plugged it in yet, but having the tuner built-in is very nice. There was some tarnish on the frets that was even across all of them, which makes me think it hasn’t been played in quite a while.

I cleaned those up today, along with giving everything a thorough cleaning. Not that it needed it, but I make a habit of that each time I change strings. Speaking of which, this was the first time in twenty years that I’ve changed strings with conventional tuners. I’m out of practice, and don’t plan to get better at it. I took advantage of the PRS Accessories Store 40% off sale and ordered some SE locking tuners. $57 bucks? Yeah, totally worth that.

I love the sound of it. Great, balanced tones. Feels good to play, too. The W/F neck feels a lot like my CE22, which I suppose it should.

I’m having some fun playing a different type of guitar than I’m used to. Not bad for under $500. Guitar Center has some great PRS deals going, comparatively with the rest of the used market, anyway. Been a very good experience.

Back