Sweetest Rig of all time... I dare you to do better!!!! : )

Agreed. I still need to add one to my arsenal.

My absolute favorite overdriven tone I have ever gotten, was on my first CU 22 semi hollow. I was lucky enough to record it. I have tried over and over with the exact same guitar, and all my others, but have not been able to get that same tone. Its strange in that it was the same basic settings I always used, same amp, recorder, mic, speaker, cabinet, same everything, but I can not duplicate that tone. I just plugged in and hit record. I didnt even try to dial in a certain tone, and it blew me away. Was it the electricity in my house that day? My mind and fingers were just working better? The perfect humidity level for that particular guitar? I didnt play any better or worse than I usually do, but the tone came out perfect, and that guitar, my second one, and my Walnut version ALWAYS sound great. One of the best guitars PRS (or anyone) has ever made IMO. Here is that clip. I am only speaking for myself, but the tone drops me every time I listen to it. If I could only nail it again and freeze it :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not just a Coke. It's Mexican Coke!

Awesome stuff Tag. I love it.

Another excellent rig. Always love seeing your gear cause I know it's going to be uniquely your own.

I like it simple with a DGT. And a Coke. BOOM!

Glad you dig the Burnley. The new Bogner stuff looks interesting.

That doesn't stop me. I suck, but I don't give a flying rat fart. Guitar is a hobby I'm passionate about, though I realize I'll never be any good. My notes usually suck, but my tone is righteous. I just love making glorious noise.

No ones hearing any of my clips:spitcoffee:. In fact I don't have any. My music embarrasses me most of the time. What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Earlier iteration of my "sweetest" rig, cab is isolated for recording.!

Les,
Anything special for the isolation cab? Does anyone make something for this application? I need it for late night recordings here at home. I simply can not get any tone that I can stand even a little going direct.

Is that a humidor in the cubby hole?

Nope. It's a box that holds a matched pair of pencil microphones.

That shelf was built to hold a standalone small mic preamp that I no longer have. The bottom large shelf space was built to hold a computer, and the stand itself was designed as a keyboard stand to hold two keyboards, one on top, and the other in the pullout drawer. It was part of a pretty complex studio setup, and I'm still using the other stands that match it in my studio mix area.

My brother and I built this furniture quite a few years ago when I had a ton of hardware synths, etc. Now it's completely unnecessary in the studio, but I don't want to just junk it, as it's good looking in person and very solidly made. So I store the mic box in it, and a laptop in a brief case that I use for location recording, etc, put amps on top, etc.

Les,
Anything special for the isolation cab? Does anyone make something for this application? I need it for late night recordings here at home. I simply can not get any tone that I can stand even a little going direct.

When that picture was taken the cab was simply in my storage room with the door closed, and I ran a long speaker cable to it and a long mic cable from the speaker to a mic preamp.

However, I plan to get a Rivera Silent Sister. It's actually a brilliant design. While it's not completely soundproof because it's vented so that weird air pressure doesn't build up inside the cab to screw up the cone or the mic capsule and thereby mess with the tone, it's very quiet, and it's made for recording when there can't be an iso booth and quiet is needed in the room.

30 Seconds to Mars toured with one, had it offstage, and sounded great according to Jamie, my son, who toured with them and engineered their last record and mixed several songs on it.

Last edited:
Nope. It's a box that holds a matched pair of pencil microphones.

That shelf was built to hold a standalone small mic preamp that I no longer have. The bottom large shelf space was built to hold a computer, and the stand itself was designed as a keyboard stand to hold two keyboards, one on top, and the other in the pullout drawer. It was part of a pretty complex studio setup, and I'm still using the other stands that match it in my studio mix area.

My brother and I built this furniture quite a few years ago when I had a ton of hardware synths, etc. Now it's completely unnecessary in the studio, but I don't want to just junk it, as it's good looking in person and very solidly made. So I store the mic box in it, and a laptop in a brief case that I use for location recording, etc, put amps on top, etc.

When that picture was taken the cab was simply in my storage room with the door closed, and I ran a long speaker cable to it and a long mic cable from the speaker to a mic preamp.

However, I plan to get a Rivera Silent Sister. It's actually a brilliant design. While it's not completely soundproof because it's vented so that weird air pressure doesn't build up inside the cab to screw up the cone or the mic capsule and thereby mess with the tone, it's very quiet, and it's made for recording when there can't be an iso booth and quiet is needed in the room.

30 Seconds to Mars toured with one, had it offstage, and sounded great according to Jamie, my son, who toured with them and engineered their last record and mixed several songs on it.

If its vented, isnt that going to let out a LOT of sound? I dont need to crank my amps, as I use the Fenders for cleans and the Quinns or Emmy pro for my drive tones most of the time (As you know, both have fantastic MVs) but I need to keep it down to almost whisper levels. Will these do the trick? Also, is the speaker replaceable? Thanks for the help!!!

If its vented, isnt that going to let out a LOT of sound? I dont need to crank my amps, as I use the Fenders for cleans and the Quinns or Emmy pro for my drive tones most of the time (As you know, both have fantastic MVs) but I need to keep it down to almost whisper levels. Will these do the trick? Also, is the speaker replaceable? Thanks for the help!!!

It lets out some sound, not a lot.

I have no idea about the answers to the next questions!

It lets out some sound, not a lot.

I have no idea about the answers to the next questions!

I just put a bid in on the cheaper one. I am sure I can replace the vintage 30 it comes with. (UGGHH!!) I have several G12H30s, other Celestions and twoRock speakers here I can use instead.

The silent sister isn't what I would call "whisper" quiet...but it does sound great. The speaker is easily replaceable...in fact you can order one without a speaker. Sweetwater did this for me and even installed the speaker I ordered from them for me prior to shipping.

Hey Tag,

Is that a THD 2x12 cab? What do/did you think of it? I'm on my second THD BiValve amp. I had their 2x12 with the first amp and couldn't get enough bass out of it. I was the only guitarist in the band when I had it and just needed a fatter tone. I sold the whole package, but about a year later, I started hunting for another head. With the right cab, it's a monster head. I've had my second for about five years now.

[h=2]"Sweetest Rig of all time... I dare you to do better!!!!"[/h]

Dumble overdrive special. Any good electric guitar straight in. No pedals needed. The TwoRock underneath did not get played very much. :tongue:

373211838.jpg

Hey Tag,

Is that a THD 2x12 cab? What do/did you think of it? I'm on my second THD BiValve amp. I had their 2x12 with the first amp and couldn't get enough bass out of it. I was the only guitarist in the band when I had it and just needed a fatter tone. I sold the whole package, but about a year later, I started hunting for another head. With the right cab, it's a monster head. I've had my second for about five years now.

That was the speakers! (Celestion 70 watters IIR) I switched them out for two Rocks and it has LOADS of bottom end. The stock celestions were REALLY bright and thin. Did not care for them at all. LOVE the cab!!!

That was the speakers! (Celestion 70 watters IIR) I switched them out for two Rocks and it has LOADS of bottom end. The stock celestions were REALLY bright and thin. Did not care for them at all. LOVE the cab!!!

That makes a lot of sense, and I wish I would have just changed the speakers. It would have saved me a ton in the end. I actually thought the cab did the mid-heavy grind really well with the BiValve. I just needed more range with only one guitar. BTW, I saw a pretty slick paisley covered THD 2x12 a few months ago. :)

That makes a lot of sense, and I wish I would have just changed the speakers. It would have saved me a ton in the end. I actually thought the cab did the mid-heavy grind really well with the BiValve. I just needed more range with only one guitar. BTW, I saw a pretty slick paisley covered THD 2x12 a few months ago. :)

Very cool! I still have mine. I have no speakers on this computer, and cant tell what this clip shows, but this is the THD cab with the TwoRock speakers. (I believe VERY similar to G65s)

Its a really well balanced big sounding cab for a 2/12 IMO. The stock speakers were just horrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back