Suhr vs James Tyler vs PRS

I just listened through some Sennheiser cans to my den computer, and haven't checked it out on studio monitors, which would be more accurate.

Given guitars of that caliber, I think most players would feel pretty good about owning any of them. At this level, it's a 'season to taste' kind of thing with subtle differences.

It's also hard to evaluate the differences in details between the guitars and pickups with that much amp gain (though it's the most authentic amp setting for the song).

One of the reasons I like PRS is that there's a little bit more midrange support when playing that high on the neck. The Suhr seemed to tilt most toward the high frequencies in that video, with the Tyler somewhere in-between.

All-in-all, an interesting comparison. But all three sounded pretty darn nice.

I have a few Suhrs and a good number of PRS guitars. One of my Suhr guitars is a custom built carved top Standard I had them build in 2015. It is a great guitar and one of my main players. It stacks up with my PRS core guitars. I have played Tyler guitars but I didn't feel the were worth the price of admission and I couldn't get past the headstock. I am all in on the Suhr and PRS trains though.

I'd be happy to have any of those 3 brands in my arsenal. (Maybe not that particular Suhr; but I do like mine a lot.) I've gotta say, if the funds allowed and I could have one of EVERYTHING, you better believe I'd have a Burning Water Tyler super-strat just because they're wicked-crazy.

But if one were to ask by my current-ownership count (how many PRS vs. Suhr do I own?), it'd be PRS by a longshot. I credit Paul's diversity of models over the years, all of which are impressive in quality & versatility.

But if one were to ask by my current-ownership count (how many PRS vs. Suhr do I own?), it'd be PRS by a longshot. I credit Paul's diversity of models over the years, all of which are impressive in quality & veversatility.
I thought this very same thing last night looking at how PRS out numbers the rest of my arsenal and honestly has replaced other brands. It's the diversity of PRS offerings and consistency in quality over the years.

The PRS sounded best to me. I thought the guy played better on the PRS too.
I thought so too. It’s why all my electrics are PRS now…well…. And Also Tyler & Suhr just aren’t original designs. The visual appeal just isn’t there for me. The Tele & Strat copies/variations have been done to death. Tyler, Anderson, Grosh, Suhr, Collings, Huber, Gustavson, and Fender!
There’s an element of new ideas, spontaneity and easier playability that come out in my improv solos live with my PRS’s that I just can’t get out of any other brand of guitar……

Last edited:
Always hard to A/B a song perfectly. I thought the James Tyler sounded the best here. Would minding owning any of the 3 though, all amazing instruments.

Love them all and have some of each. Also Tom Anderson.

All different types of "wow that's really nice".

AYc8H7Zm.jpg

Q9Im7yMm.jpg

o9cAdj9m.jpg

fyZqzKWm.jpg

Foe Me, It Was Very Close Between The PRS And Suhr.

Back