Studio TV YouTube Channel

Well, the good news is that my studio manager who does the video work is on board, as is my business partner, who in addition to being a terrific mixer, composer and sound designer, also does a great job with software instruction videos that he puts on some of the forums that he participates in.

We're going to do a test shoot later this week to scout how this will all look for the camera, test sound from the mics, and so on.

I've never done anything like this before, so bear with me!

Count me in! I pickup an audio interface a while back but haven't had a chance to dig too deep into it. Would love to learn more from a pro like yourself!

I'll definitely do a lot of this. First, people are confused about their music rights, and there are lots of urban myths that need debunking, and second, you're right, lots of folks make great music and haven't yet got the expertise to get it monetized.

Plus there's the whole subject of performance royalties, mechanical rights, synch rights, composition vs master recording, etc., that confuses a lot of people.

That sounds rad. I'd totally subscribe to your channel.

Dusty, I'm probably better at the more advanced stuff, less so at the beginner stuff because it's been a while since I was starting out.

I was reminded how hard it really is to be a teacher when I attempted to give my big sister bass lessons. I was completely unprepared to explain the basics of stuff as simple as how to even hold the bass... I just assumed everybody knew that stuff instinctively.

I might do a show with one of my friends who is Eminem and Kid Rock's entertainment attorney. That would probably be pretty informative?

So it's going to be an "R" rated YouTube channel? Works for me!

I know I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. More for the studio tips than the business, as at my age I'm happy just to get someone to listen to the original music I've recorded, forget making money off it.
In the early '90s my band's management company had a small 16 track studio, which I bluffed my way into becoming chief engineer (most of my recording experience to that point was with a early Tascam portastudio!). The company offered a beginning recording class through the local entertainment paper, which I taught. The biggest thing I learned from the experience was nothing forces you to hone your knowledge like trying to teach others - especially if you care about what you're doing.

Tom

I love the idea Les! I have no idea what most people would want to watch or learn about. I don't know much about DAW's and recording from your side of the mixer. My experience is almost all from the other side. I'm capable of getting a good guitar sound and writing the songs and conveying to you, the guy behind the board, what I want to hear. In terms of operating the whole deal in your world, I don't know squat. As much as I'd love to learn, I don't have the time to focus on learning the recording process as I have other things I need to concentrate on. I'd be very interested in all the rights, royalties and legal stuff. Whatever you put out there I would subscribe to the channel and take in all the info I could get!

Thanks all...the planning is underway. I've never been in front of the camera before, so I hope it doesn't feel too awkward.

Les, I believe it would also be interesting to watch some amp or guitar demos, but based on how they sit in a studio mix.
Maybe cut 2 or 3 backing tracks that have room for clean, overdriven and solo guitar tracks and use the same tracks to record different amps etc...
This would include studio tips as well as guitar gear that we all love...
My 2p and all that...

Les, I believe it would also be interesting to watch some amp or guitar demos, but based on how they sit in a studio mix.
Maybe cut 2 or 3 backing tracks that have room for clean, overdriven and solo guitar tracks and use the same tracks to record different amps etc...
This would include studio tips as well as guitar gear that we all love...
My 2p and all that...

Oh, great idea! And selection of guitars etc as well.

I'd wish this to be kind of "prescient" , like:

"OK, since this track is a rocker, we will use guitar XX for the first track. This first guitar track is the basic tonality, just power chords, and we don't need too much top end here, because we will reserve that for the lick going on top of that. So we'll select this guitar, and this amp, and then we'll dial it in so." [play guitar sound]. "Now, if we'd gone for a sound like this, that sounds good by itself [play sound-good-by-itself-sample], we'd end up with THIS mess [play the final product with the wrong kind of tones]. But instead we get this [play with the right tones].

I realize this is probably way beyond the magnitude of work intended, but this is what I'd like to see in an ideal world - take it as input for a direction if you like :)

Oh, great idea! And selection of guitars etc as well.

I'd wish this to be kind of "prescient" , like:

"OK, since this track is a rocker, we will use guitar XX for the first track. This first guitar track is the basic tonality, just power chords, and we don't need too much top end here, because we will reserve that for the lick going on top of that. So we'll select this guitar, and this amp, and then we'll dial it in so." [play guitar sound]. "Now, if we'd gone for a sound like this, that sounds good by itself [play sound-good-by-itself-sample], we'd end up with THIS mess [play the final product with the wrong kind of tones]. But instead we get this [play with the right tones].

I realize this is probably way beyond the magnitude of work intended, but this is what I'd like to see in an ideal world - take it as input for a direction if you like :)

Well, I doubt I'd demo the messy tones, but one of my plans is certainly to show how to build a track from scratch. I'll probably get my feet wet with some simpler ideas to get going, and work my way into it, depending on how folks react.

Reactions: jay
Back