string breakage

I just don't break strings - in fact, I can't remember breaking one in decades. I use .010-.046 strings, either GHS Boomers or Dean Markley Blue Steels, and Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks, and I don't play particularly light, either. And I don't change strings very often.

I think it all comes down to how acidic your sweat is. Unfortunately, I sweat pretty profusely, but my theory is that this dilutes the salt content and other acidic components in the moisture. The only thing I do is wipe down the strings with a soft microfiber cloth after playing.

If you're breaking the same string at the same place consistently, then there very likely is a problem with the nut or saddle where the break is occurring. Other than that, I would think about changing string brands, perhaps to one of the ones mentioned above. It seems to me anecdotally that I've heard more string-related issues involving DR strings than all other brands combined - intonation problems, breakage, etc.. You may like the tone of them, but breakage is unacceptable...and other companies make pure nickel wrapped strings, etc. (such as GHS.) It's definitely worth a shot.

(If you have a Tune-o-matic bridge...) Thie idea is that at a microscopic level, the strings move back and forth when the guitar's tuning is adjusted and when the guitar player bends the strings while playing. This movement of the string against the knife-like edge of the tune-o-matic bridge saddle can have a cutting effect on the strings similar to the wire cutter blade on needle nose pliers or side cutting pliers. But, if you use a lubricant (as described previously) it will significantly reduce, if not entirely eliminate, the risk of the string getting cut.[/QUOTte

Only the core was broken not the wrap. If saddle is cutting the string then the wrap should be broken too. Would you agree with that?

Not really. I am more inclined to think that the force that would cause the thicker and less flexible core to break might not be adequate to break the outer wrap which would be much more flexible and tollerant to abuse.

What Eric said. I broke way more strings when I started playing, because i played violently and with a heavy pick. I use the yellows and greens(Tortex) and my strings only break from age.Another thing is I use Elixir electrics. I know some people dont like the tone, but I have no complaints, and the lifetime is far better than Slinky's or XL's. The coating doesn't hurt either :)A wraparound Bridge(no saddle) also reduces breakage I believe. And the trem Stretches and pulls the strings.I get a good 3 months out of both acoustic and electric strings. And I play the Electric at my church twice a week, and I play "Angela" every day :)

Light picks???? A .6????? Really?

No way, dude. I'm sticking with a real pick.

pick.jpg

I can really dig in with this baby!

That poor, poor PRS. She deserves better than that.;)

Deserves better than me playing it, too, but let this be a lesson - when you gamble and get into drugs and huge debt and you're forced to go to loan sharks in an effort to pay your debt and eventually get in so deep you have to resort to selling your body...well, I had the money!

Deserves better than me playing it, too, but let this be a lesson - when you gamble and get into drugs and huge debt and you're forced to go to loan sharks in an effort to pay your debt and eventually get in so deep you have to resort to selling your body...well, I had the money!

My computer is wishing I hadnt taken that sip....

Yes. I prefer 10-46s. I also use some powdered graphite on the nut slots when installing....mainly because the name Big Bends Nut Sauce made me laugh my a$$ off. I asked for it once in a GC and the young sales guy thought I was kidding. Good product. Funny name. Now I just go to an auto parts store and buy regular old powdered graphite. Works fine. Breaking at the bridge, eh? Wondering if it is related to your style of play and where you might be striking the strings. Dunno? Hope you get it figured out. Its a real pain to change strings at live shows esp when you are the only guitar! Too bad they don't make a speed string changer ... sort of like a firearms ammo clip except for strings. :)

I change strings before every show. I play pretty heavy handed and don't break a string as long as I change them. I don't do anything special, sometimes I'll take a pencil to the saddles when I restring. I used GHS and had breakage issues, EB sound worn out and dull if I look at them the wrong way, DR, I just don't dig the round core on them. The Cobalt strings seemed to last a long time. D'Addario & PRS strings seem to last the longest out of "normal" strings. I haven't tried the NYXL yet. My gigging guitars all use a custom gauge which I buy in bulk from JustStrings.com

Back