Strange harmonic issue with my PRS

Gregory Osborne

Guitar: 2008 PRS Custom 22 Soapbar 10 Top Signed by Paul Reed Smith. Standard tunning.
Issue:
When I play an "A" note on the high "E" string 5th fret, Or, play an "A"note on the "B" string
10th fret, the harmonic notes of the "A" string 5th fret and "D" string 7th fret will sound at the same time that the fretted "A" note is played.
All the notes playing (harmonic and fretted} at the same time are "A" notes, however, I have not played the "A" 5th fret and "D" 7th fret harmonics. The 5th and 7th fret harmonics play without me playing anything except the fretted "A" note.
If I stop the fretted note from ringing the harmonic notes on the "A and D" strings continue to ring.

Please help.

Sounds like you have a sympathetic or harmonic vibration going here, and that A note is the one that triggers it. Have you tried tuning down a half step to see if that makes it go away? Not that it's a permanent solution, but it will let you know that it's the specific frequency that's the problem.

I'm no expert on this, but I'd think you could try things like changing string brands/gauges, clipping a capo or tuner to the headstock to see if it changes the vibration. Long-term, it may be that something like changing the tuners will change the vibration of the neck enough to eliminate the problem.

And ultimately, be glad it's a guitar and not a bridge.

bI-OpA.gif

All you have to do is adjust your right hand technique to mute the open strings. Otherwise it's a good thing to have a guitar that resonant.
Interesting. I usually use my left hand when I don’t want it - though that might be why sometimes a left finger touches a string I don’t want it too.

Interesting. I usually use my left hand when I don’t want it - though that might be why sometimes a left finger touches a string I don’t want it too.

I do both. I'd really have to sit down and analyze what both hands are doing in that area of the neck but I'm pretty sure I'd palm mute at least the lower 4 strings.

I had a McCarty that did it too. Loved how resonant it was but struggled to cover all the strings!

Back