Static from HB II Piezo

RTL

Hi folks.

I've had a Hollowbody II Piezo since a few days after release and have had nothing but positive things to say about it. However it started acting up the other day and I'm not certain what's happening.

When it's set to piezo, there is a very loud static that comes out. Mag pickup is crystal clear.

I've swapped out the battery (with multiple batteries to ensure it didn't just put another drained battery in). I've sprayed some deoxit in there as well. I haven't taken it apart to see if there's anything wrong with the wiring or pots, but that's cause these things are pain to work on.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I should mention I've tested with multiple amps and cables as well (clean, no pedals).

Last edited:
Is yours an SE or Core line? Not that it matters, most of the system is the same.

I have the same issue with mine (a Core line). I've actually had several issues lately...D string going out, static and volume drops on the low E. Fiddling with the ribbon cable generally resolves the issue for me, but it's only temporary and will end up acting up again further down the road.

I've spoken with the PTC and we both kinda agreed it's something somewhere in the piezo system. Since these piezo systems are provided to PRS pre-wired, the only option is to replace the pre-amp.

This is just my situation and my guitar may have an issue completely unrelated to what you are experiencing. Hope you figure yours out, and I'm interested in what ends up working for you!

Is yours an SE or Core line?

It wasn't until I was sitting at the dinner table that I thought, "I should have mentioned it's the SE."

Heh.

I adore the sound of this guitar, but if this is going to become a thing, I will be quite disappointed.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I'm thinking more and more that it's to do with the jack connection. The volume pot gradually decreases the static without any additional scratchiness... and it's clean when plugged into the mag jack.

Electronics should be covered under warranty for 2 years. Even if it's a little older, PRS might step up and cover it.

Back