Starting my Private Stock build...would love feedback.

Yes I will be going at the end of April. The funny thing is I only live about 10 minutes from the factory.
Then you can pick inlays at the factory. I've always chosen the inlay after the fingerboard was selected. There are some other materials that have that white look and the colour tone mat enhance your choice of board.

I'm not sure the Gold MOP/northern lights combo is a good match on the violin II proposal, but I don't have a great eye for color, I always ask for input form the PS team.

Edit: With blues and purples of NL, I would lean towards White or Black lip MOP birds myself with white turquoise or Paua as alternatives.

Edit II: I also agree with the comments above that the inlay should be chosen compliment both the fret board/ HS veneer color and top/hardware color.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the Gold MOP/northern lights combo is a good match on the violin II proposal, but I don't have a great eye for color, I always ask for input form the PS team.

Edit: With blues and purples of NL, I would lean towards White or Black lip MOP birds myself with white turquoise or Paua as alternatives.

Edit II: I also agree with the comments above that the inlay should be chosen compliment both the fret board/ HS veneer color and top/hardware color.

Check out my revised post on the specs. I decided to go with a McCarty build with slight nods to the DGT and 594

Yeah I just found this out from the dealer. Very unfortunate. Now the search for the right birds begins.

I have mammoth ivory birds on my McCarty Singlecut, and while the idea of 10,000 year old ivory material is cool and all that, if I wan't told it was mammoth ivory I'd think it was just some kind of plastic inlay. It's not much of a thing that they're not offering it any more.

The guitar sounds fantastic, though. I'd have bought it with plastic inlays, or no inlays. Wouldn't have mattered.

I know we all love the ooh and aah, of the "big reveal" when the case is opened (I do, too), but after a while, the qualities of the guitar as an instrument are the most important thing, and the inlays and doodads turn out not to matter quite as much. At least for me. YMMV.

I know we all love the ooh and aah, of the "big reveal" when the case is opened (I do, too), but after a while, the qualities of the guitar as an instrument are the most important thing, and the inlays and doodads turn out not to matter quite as much. At least for me. YMMV.
I mostly agree, but I have to confess that I still get a lot of pleasure looking at the right inlay when I open the case. Even the inlays on the worn flame maple board of my SAS are a joy. Since the inlays of most of the normal materials are included in the price of the private stock, you might as well pick a material that fits best with the rest of the guitar. It is a personal thing.

One the inlay front, I just wanted to toss out an idea you might not have thought of yet; stained maple inlays! Since they are doing them now it's one way to get another texture / color...

...maybe a nice set of White Washed Maple birds would be to your liking?

White paisley case, huh? Pic of a sample? I missed that was available when I did my build.

Back