Starting my Private Stock build...would love feedback.

windsongstudios

I can't decide which to go with. Please feel free to weigh in.

First up: (Haven't decided on pickups for this one, torn between 58/15 59/09 or something else) I already have 2 guitars with 57/08's

Specifications:

Model: Violin II

Neck Wood: Curly Maple

Fingerboard Wood: Ebony with “Strad” Purfling (Gold MOP, MOP and Maple)

Back Wood: Ribbon Mahogany (matching backplate)

Headstock Veneer Wood: Ebony Veneer w/Gold Mother of Pearl,Mother of Pearl and Maple

Neck Carve: Pattern

Side Dots: Violin II

Color/Stain: Northern Lights

Fingerboard Inlays: Gold Mother of Pearl “Violin” Birds

Headstock Veneer Inlays: Violin II

Finish Type: High Gloss Nitro

Pickups: Treble: Bass:

Electronics: DGT

Hardware: PRS Stoptail w/ Brass Inserts, Phase III Locking Tuners w/Ivroid Buttons (Mixed HW)

Set-Up: 11’s (E-Flat)

Case Type: White Paisley

Or:

Specifications:

Model: DGT

Neck Wood: Mahogany

Fingerboard Wood: African Blackwood

Back Wood: Ribbon Mahogany

Headstock Veneer Wood: African Blackwood Veneer w/White Mother of Pearl Eagle

Neck Carve: DGT

Side Dots: White Mother of Pearl

Fingerboard Inlays: White Mother of Pearl

Headstock Veneer Inlays: White Mother of Pearl Private Stock Eagle

Pickups: Treble: DGT Bass: 58/15LT (Brushed cover to match DGT cover)

Hardware: PRS Tremelo, Phase III Locking Tuners w/Ivroid Buttons (Mixed HW)

Set-Up: 11’s (E-Flat)

Case Type: Brown Leather Private Stock

What say you?

I posted a pic of my Northern Lights 20th PS in your other thread. But if I wanted a Violin II, I'd want it in a violin-like, amber color, especially with the "Strad" purfling. It's more in keeping with the theme.

In terms of pickups for the Violin II, I'd go with the low-turn 58/15s because they sound fantastic, and a 594 neck.

I have no suggestions re: the DGT, seems like you have a good handle on that one.

I posted a pic of my Northern Lights 20th PS in your other thread. But if I wanted a Violin II, I'd want it in a violin-like, amber color, especially with the "Strad" purfling. It's more in keeping with the theme.

In terms of pickups for the Violin II, I'd go with the low-turn 58/15s because they sound fantastic, and a 594 neck.

I have no suggestions re: the DGT, seems like you have a good handle on that one.

I totally get what you mean with the Violin-esque finish. I just have so many earth tome PRS's haha. I just thought the curly maple neck would look pretty awesome in Northern Lights as well. Do you think the "Strad" purfling will look bad with the Northern Lights finish? Im not doing the Smokeburst, just normal NL. And since it will have hybrid hardware I was hoping the gold MOP would play well with it.

Hmm.... I love the color choice and I think the curly maple neck will be excellent, but I just didn't bond with the purfling for some reason.
Don't get me wrong, I think if you go custom you should go all the way, and flipping between that and the DGT, the DGT looked a little plain Jane. Maybe cause that purling was so fancy, looks cool on the headstock though.
As for the controls, going DGT with 2 volume controls is not my way, if that matches your style of playing go with it. I've always felt having one vol & tone was PRS advantage over the LP, but that matches my style of doing things.

Good luck with this, I hope you end up with a masterpiece.

I'll toss in another vote for the 58/15. The rest I think you have nailed.

I totally get what you mean with the Violin-esque finish. I just have so many earth tome PRS's haha. I just thought the curly maple neck would look pretty awesome in Northern Lights as well. Do you think the "Strad" purfling will look bad with the Northern Lights finish? Im not doing the Smokeburst, just normal NL. And since it will have hybrid hardware I was hoping the gold MOP would play well with it.

I know what you mean, I'm mostly an earth-tone PRS guy myself, the NL color was a wild and crazy departure for me!

Here's my thinking on what goes with what. Imagine a room with a wood floor stained an amber type of color, it would go well with any tasty rug and furniture you put on it, you could paint the walls just about any color, and hang just about any artwork and it would be fine. You could go with any period style, the stuff could be simple or busy in pattern, etc.

If that floor is stained NL, those choices might be different. It's a bold, modern color, and you might find your antique Persian rug not exactly a match.

So I made some changes and this I am feeling pretty happy with. I am 95% sure this will be the build.

Model: McCarty

Top Wood: East Coast Curly Maple

Neck Wood: East Indian Rosewood Neck (Lacquered)

Fingerboard Wood: African Blackwood with Maple Binding

Back Wood: African Ribbon Mahogany (Matching Backplate)

Headstock Veneer Wood: African Blackwood Veneer with Maple Binding

Neck Carve: Pattern Vintage (594)

Nut: Bone

Frets: DGT

Side Dots: Mammoth Ivory

Fingerboard Inlays: Mammoth Ivory Birds

Headstock Veneer Inlays: Mammoth Ivory Private Stock Eagle

Pickups: Treble: 58/15LT Bass: 58/15LT

Hardware: PRS Stoptail w/Brass Inserts, Phase III Locking Tuners w/Ivroid Buttons (Hybrid HW)

Last edited:
Back