Standard 24 Lower Tuning

Rohann

Hi all, I have a ST24 with 10-46's on right now (in Standard), and I'm thinking of tuning down to C# standard (or D flat - the official terminology doesn't seem to be clear and some get upset at calling it "standard" - not the point of this question :) ). Thing is, I don't have money to be re-setting it up, and I only have one guitar. I have a good setup on there now, and don't have the money to pay to get it set up in C# and then back in E afterwards. A few questions: 1. I know the PTC does amazing setups, but setups don't seem like rocket science to me - is it easy enough to set up your guitar half-decently (not perfectly, but decently) in this sort of scenario? I can be precise. 2. What string gauge should I use? The D'Addario chart tells me 52's, but I've heard 49's work fine. Any suggestions for similar tension to 10's in E? 3. Is the string gauge difference enough to warrant nut filing, and/or a new nut for switching back to E later on? EDIT: For some reason I can't add paragraph spacing on here, makes this harder to read.

It's a trem. I understand stoptails had more problems with down tuning but I thought trems were ok. Porcupine Tree and Between the Buried and Me have played in C and C# with CU24's and others, so I figured it'd work.

I use the DR DDT 11-54 set for my SE Cu24 in drop C, and they feel about like 10's in standard tuning. Just to clarify, are you going to drop C# as in 1/2 step down, or C# as in the whole guitar 3 half steps down? If you're doing drop C#, I would say a 52 on the low and on top, tough call, 10 if you want it a little slinky, 11 if you want it more tight. If you're doing the whole guitar lower, I would say at least the 11-54 set.

For the nut, you can have it filed for the bigger strings, or install a Tusq precut nut. I did the latter on my SE, very easy to do, just pop the old one out, sand the bottom surface to get the height right, and glue it in. The Tusq nut has more of a "bowl" shape to the slots, so you can use a variety of gauges. Then just adjusting the intonation on your bridge saddles and the trem springs and you're good to go!

I use the DR DDT 11-54 set for my SE Cu24 in drop C, and they feel about like 10's in standard tuning. Just to clarify, are you going to drop C# as in 1/2 step down, or C# as in the whole guitar 3 half steps down? If you're doing drop C#, I would say a 52 on the low and on top, tough call, 10 if you want it a little slinky, 11 if you want it more tight. If you're doing the whole guitar lower, I would say at least the 11-54 set.

For the nut, you can have it filed for the bigger strings, or install a Tusq precut nut. I did the latter on my SE, very easy to do, just pop the old one out, sand the bottom surface to get the height right, and glue it in. The Tusq nut has more of a "bowl" shape to the slots, so you can use a variety of gauges. Then just adjusting the intonation on your bridge saddles and the trem springs and you're good to go!
Thanks, good to know.

C# "standard", so whole guitar down 3 half steps from E.

I'll see how 10-52 or 54 work, the D'Addario tension chart says .52 for D so somewhere in there it should work.

Re: Nut - are they easy enough to remove and re-insert yourself? Any precision needed there? Tech here said I might be able to get away with using the same filed nut with 10's again after.

It was an easy job on my SE. The nut comes pre-slotted including proper radius, you just sand the bottom to adjust overall height. I just measured the height on both E strings over the first fret before starting, and that was my goal for the new nut. I went with the Tusq because I wanted to stop strings from binding in the slots in the stock nut, and it was easier to do myself than go looking for someone to do it for me. If you have a good tech that will file your slots and not charge an arm and a leg, I'm sure that would be fine too.

Back