Sound. Just...Sound.

László

Too Many Notes
I like audio. I enjoy sound for its own sake.

As folks like Stockhausen taught us, random sound can be thought of as music. But for the sake of discussion, I'd like to artificially distinguish between sound and music for a moment.

There are sounds I don't want to hear. There are also sounds that in and of themselves, somehow trigger the pleasure centers of my brain. I don't know about you, this is how my brain works.

When I feel like doing something entertaining, I am often found in my studio simply creating sounds on a synthesizer. I don't do this for any other purpose than to make myself happy (unless I'm working on a project). The sounds I create cause the pleasure centers of my brain to react. Sometimes I'll turn these sounds into a musical track. More often than not, I won't. I would rather create sound than watch television or a film. In fact, I'd rather listen to a good radio show than watch television or a film.

I do practice the guitar and play traditional stuff on it.

But I also like to record it and run it through various audio devices, just to see what happens.

I have good monitors in my studio because they're easier to mix on, but I have good monitors in my studio because it's more pleasurable to listen to them, too. I like sound.

Anyone else do this kind of thing?

I should also point out that I like PRS gear because I think it sounds good, interesting, etc.

Last edited:
Lately I haven't watched much TV, just been playing around the uh, studio. Always enjoyed playing live but never got much time in the studio back in the day, so I'm scratching an old itch.
What surprises me is that sometimes I get caught up with some weird sound while looking for a different guitar tone. I hate to use the word ambient but that's the closest word I can think of.
I need to get some better sound gear.

Last edited:
Lately I haven't watched much TV, just been playing around the uh, studio. Always enjoyed playing live but never got much time in the studio back in the day, so I'm scratching an old itch.
What surprises me is that sometimes I get caught up with some weird sound while looking for a different guitar tone. I hate to use the word ambient but that's the closest word I can think of.
I need to get some better sound gear.

My livelihood is doing music and sound design for TV ads, with some documentary stuff thrown into the mix here and there.

I have a fairly large room in my basement dedicated to production work (33x15), with adjacent space for storage (obsolete gear needs a home, as do spare mic stands, gobos, etc., but I also use the spare room as an isolation room when I really need to crank an amp to the max).

The main space is a good sounding room (suitable for cutting anything from vocals to drums), and it's well-equipped for my purposes. I have all the noise-generating disk drives, etc., connected with 30 foot optical thunderbolt cable far enough away that they aren't an issue. All of the acoustical treatment is modular ASC Tube Trap stuff, that I can move around as needed, though I'm talking with Real Traps about some permanent absorption/diffusion stuff because I'm getting tired of moving the tube traps around.

I suppose I'm enough of a gear freak that I like to have the higher end stuff within reason, so the monitoring and AD/DA conversion is high quality, as are the microphones and preamps.

In all honesty, I love creating music, but I like being in the studio in my spare time just to play around.

Nice! I'm a software writer (aka programmer) and analyst, these days music is just a hobby (and love) to keep me off the streets at night. :) I'm just lucky to have a wife that let me keep all of my amps and guitars from my playing days and who for some reason feeds my music habit with a new toy from time to time.

I love sounds! Big ones, little ones, they're all exciting and all important.

I will say I don't spend as much time on them as I used to though.. I think it's because I can always change them later these days, back when my synths were real or electro-mechanical and when my MPC drums had to hit tape first I worked a lot harder on getting things right up front, now it's all about working fast. :redface:

I've been listening to a lot of this lately. The sounds and the sounds between. I have loved this record for years and years.

Always been tuned into certain sounds...

Even before I picked up the guitar I loved the sound of it.. Just seemed to grab me.

There was a certain girl I worked with years ago that had the most unpleasant voice... Like fingernails down a blackboard. Speaking of female voices... I'm a big fan of Beth hart. great voice but I just love the way she phrases certain words. Amazing depth and richness to her voice!

Definitely a sounds guy too. I'm more of a auditory guy than a visual guy - and have been since birth so it's no wonder I love and play music like I do. And I love certain voices and can't stand others.

So yep - I definitely fit that description LS!

I love and excel at making very high-quality samples; I can listen to the tone and quality and movement of one note (often a very complex note, however, which does not repeat or does so very infrequently) and be entertained, sometimes for hours. Making music on the guitar is more active, and less entirely satisfying to me (than making samples and sounds)... probably because I am not that good a player, whereas I listen very well. I love listening to music, dancing, and singing, all of which seem more natural and easy to me than is playing guitar... darn it all.

I love listening to music, dancing, and singing

You're all right, Felix. :cheers:

All of this reminds me of a joke...

A guy moves into house out in a remote area. The first afternoon he's there, a knock comes at the door. He answers it and finds a guy standing on his porch. The guy says, "Howdy - I'm Tom, your neighbor from just down the road a piece. Saw you were moving in, and I just wanted to invite you to a little get-together down at my place tonight. Should be fun - there's gonna be singing and dancing and drinking and fighting and screwing."

The guy says, "Well, thank you for the invite. What should I wear?"

Tom says, "Aw, it don't matter - just gonna be me and you there."

---

Good to have you around, Felix!

^ Ditto, Lesteban, yuk. Also gotta give props re the Electronic Ambient recommended by jfb in post #7; very nice, a touch entheogenic, slow, mellow, and sensual, if a bit cold, IMO. Do you like Ambient in general, jfb?

Back