Soooo... who's going to pony up for the Mesa Mark 7?

I've been waiting for the MT100, but now I'm having doubts.

I recently bought what I thought was a dream pedal, but it didn't even last 10 minutes on my pedalboard. That made me appreciate that I have good gear already, and maybe the grass isn't greener.

And I also really like the tone of people who use Mesa Boogie mark series amps. Petrucci and the guys in Lamb of God come to mind. Maybe a mark series amp would be a better fit for me?

And then again, I really really like my Archon. My current setup sounds great. I've supplemented the 2 channel amp with pedals to get my 4 basic gain levels that I use. Do I really need a 3rd channel?

Plus, if the MT100 is made overseas, it won't be as reliable as my USA Archon. And if the MT100 is made in USA, I won't be able to afford it until they're on the used market. My Archon 100 for 1100 used was an absolute steal.

To answer the question, no, no way am I getting a mk vii. I'll toy with the idea of getting someone's mk v that they're unloading, but I don't think it's a good idea for me.

Last edited:
Based on this Mark VII talk and all the features it has and doesn't have I may as well go off the deep end and get an Axe FX So I CanZ HaZ ALL ZeE AmPZ AnD ToAnZ

The Axe 3 is really an incredible piece of gear. This weekend, I was able to finally let mine breathe a bit though monitors after a year in a temp apartment and headphones only while my house was built. It really really really gets close to the real thing and the JP2C is modeled especially well.

I replied on Rig Talk that this demo is the best one yet to hear what the VII really sounds like.
Well, for starters, tone is in the ear of the beholder. I stopped at the Zeppelin demo that sounds absolutely NOTHING like the Zep stuff. Doesn't mean it can't be dialed in, just means it wasn't dialed in. What whoever demo'd this was thinking, I dunno. But it sure as hell ain't Zep.

The other stuff...hey, I don't listen to Alice In Chains, so how would I even know?

I think it's necessary to play through any amp you're interested in and see what you can get out of it. This demo (as did some others I listened to) sounded harsh and 'more of the same' to me in lots of places before I stopped listening, but wtf do I know? I didn't have the opportunity to dial it in.

The high gain tones are largely irrelevant for my style, but I liked some of the other stuff. As I said, I'll try it - nothing to lose, right? Then I'll see what's what, and if that particular 'what' is something I could use.

However, if all I can get out of it is what's on the demo...well...probably not an amp for me.

Last edited:
Well, for starters, tone is in the ear of the beholder. I stopped at the Zeppelin demo that sounds absolutely NOTHING like the Zep stuff. Doesn't mean it can't be dialed in, just means it wasn't dialed in. What whoever demo'd this was thinking, I dunno. But it sure as hell ain't Zep.

The other stuff...hey, I don't listen to Alice In Chains, so how would I even know?

I think it's necessary to play through any amp you're interested in and see what you can get out of it. This demo (as did some others I listened to) sounded harsh and 'more of the same' to me in lots of places before I stopped listening, but wtf do I know? I didn't have the opportunity to dial it in.

The high gain tones are largely irrelevant for my style, but I liked some of the other stuff. As I said, I'll try it - nothing to lose, right? Then I'll see what's what, and if that particular 'what' is something I could use.

However, if all I can get out of it is what's on the demo...well...probably not an amp for me.
For MY needs and tones that I tend to go for, this demo gives ME what I need to hear from this amp.:)
Just the amp, not buried in some mix.

Last edited:
I had my artist friend over all day yesterday trying to dial in sound on her Mark V/35 . While I've played Boogies for over 30 years , I have to say neither of us was overly impressed. I almost picked one up when I was looking at my DG30. She's played through my PRS amps and my old boogie and liked them better. SO at the end of the day we did get it dialed in , but she was still not totally happy . I bring down my Peavey Classic 30 ( an old US made one) as it has the same tube set as the Boogie and DG30 ... Instant Love .... She's taking it home for a few days . I think she'll end up selling the boogie , and getting my old Classic 30 , pocket the change for more gear

I had my artist friend over all day yesterday trying to dial in sound on her Mark V/35 . While I've played Boogies for over 30 years , I have to say neither of us was overly impressed. I almost picked one up when I was looking at my DG30. She's played through my PRS amps and my old boogie and liked them better. SO at the end of the day we did get it dialed in , but she was still not totally happy . I bring down my Peavey Classic 30 ( an old US made one) as it has the same tube set as the Boogie and DG30 ... Instant Love .... She's taking it home for a few days . I think she'll end up selling the boogie , and getting my old Classic 30 , pocket the change for more gear
Dunno about the V/35, but I had to swap a 12AT6 into one of the positions on my 90 watt head to make it more useable.

I think it was @DreamTheaterRules who told me about it.

The videos haven't knocked me out, but one never knows until one fiddles with the controls. Not that I'm in a rush for one.

I've been sidetracked this week with an interest in a Komet 60.

I'm so inconsistent!!
Not just saying this because we're at the PRS forum where "buy everything" is the prevailing battle cry, but...

You should buy one. From everything I've heard from you both talking and playing wise, that may be one of THE best amps for you. Literally a handful of amps I would say "Les absolutely needs this" based on what I know about your playing, tonal preferences and design/feel, and that is one of them. I'd opt for one of the smaller ones, but I'd be going mainly for the touch response/feel of the amp and not necessarily big iron muscle.

But we know Les don't play that. Big Iron and Glass or die! :p

Not just saying this because we're at the PRS forum where "buy everything" is the prevailing battle cry, but...

You should buy one. From everything I've heard from you both talking and playing wise, that may be one of THE best amps for you. Literally a handful of amps I would say "Les absolutely needs this" based on what I know about your playing, tonal preferences and design/feel, and that is one of them. I'd opt for one of the smaller ones, but I'd be going mainly for the touch response/feel of the amp and not necessarily big iron muscle.

But we know Les don't play that. Big Iron and Glass or die! :p
I had a buddy's Komet Concorde in my studio to try out back in the '00s when it was a limited run.

It was great! However, I get that kind of gain (when desired) with my HXDA, and even with my DG30 when I crank it. The top end of the Concorde kind of reminds me of the DG when it breaks up, where the 60 has a different kind of upper-mid/high frequency breakup than either of the two PRS amps. So for that reason alone it'd be a worthwhile investment.

With the 60, the big iron comes through with a tighter, more piano-like, bass. It's the one that appeals to me most.

It also sounds nothing like my Mesa amps, so there's "sonic space" for it, the amp has a unique tone.

You can probably tell that I'm destined for one later in the year, assuming all other things remain normal!

I love the tones of Mark series amps, and this one is no different. A few of the demo vids sound great to me.

but the price points of Mesa stuff in general have gone above my threshold.

Everything's getting so expensive, isn't it?

It's getting kinda hard to be a gear junkie.

If only that would stop me!! :eek:
I get it! the market isn’t getting more friendly…

to be fair, Mesa amps across the board are now too expensive for me based on their value propositions vs competition. I just cant justify ponying up that much. I can either buy something else altogether (which I did recently…and Rockerverb 50s are indeed awesome!), or I’d need to sell a fair amount of things I dig (also did this recently, and I’m not looking to move much else). at their respective prices, I just can’t justify the cost for what Mesa stuff brings to the table.

and its‘s not just Mesa…don’t get me wrong. Lots of stuff is getting to that point. But I’m also not going on any stadium tours in the near future.

Back