Some Guys Have All The Luck - Rock In Rio, Clapton, Buckingham, Mars

László

Too Many Notes
Talk about good luck:

It's not enough that this summer my son Jamie got to do a European Tour with 30 Seconds to Mars, received a gold record, and had the video he mixed for Mars (and appeared in for about a second) win MTV's "Best Rock Video." You'd think, OK, that's a pretty darn complete summer, right?

Today I was at a lunch meeting and got a text from Jamie as he was at the airport for the flight to "Rock In Rio" (he's going with 30STM who are performing).

On the flight were Eric Clapton and Lindsey Buckingham, and he got to meet them!

I don't know if he got to sit near them and have more conversation, because he had to board, so we didn't text further.

The down-to-earth part was that he said he was so nervous when he talked to them that he could hardly get the words out. LOL!

My son is a HUGE fan of both of those guys. It's really great that he got to meet them.

Hell yes, I wish I'd been there!

Last edited:
Jamie is traveling in a crowd that I can only fantasize about - and then only while I'm at the Experience talking to David Grissom or Howard Leese.

Last edited:
Jamie is traveling in a crowd that I can only fantasize about - and then only while I'm at the Experience talking to Doug Grissom or Howard Leese.

Doug must be David's brother, huh? ;)

But I know what ya mean! He's very, very lucky to have these opportunities to meet folks in the business. And um, travel the world. Oh yeah, and to record and mix records that actually chart. Uhhhmmm, plus perform with a platinum band.

I mean, no big deal, everyone has these shots....:beer:

Last edited:
Les, that is cool.
I watched the Donington Download 2013 concert last weekend on the Palladia channel, and Mars was on it.
Was your son one of the players?

That's great! I'll bet he was thrilled. Very cool.

I'm not that into Clapton, but I am a BIG fan of Lindsey. My old heart would be working hard...

Lloyd

Les, that is cool.
I watched the Donington Download 2013 concert last weekend on the Palladia channel, and Mars was on it.
Was your son one of the players?

He played guitar and sang backup vocals at the acoustic shows in the US and cities in Europe, as well as the live radio broadcasts.

But he was really there for an unusual purpose, getting to play was kind of a special thing. Here's a pre-tour acoustic show he played in NYC with the band and orchestra that I linked earlier. He's not a band member so the camera isn't on him often, but he's playing acoustic and singing backup, He's the young guy with curly hair:

Because he recorded the album, and mixed a good chunk of it, he was familiar with the material. The band wanted their stuff to sound on broadcasts like it sounded on the records, so he was there to mix for TV simulcasts and re-broadcasts. Most of the big festivals didn't have acoustic sets, so he was there to do these TV mixes, etc.

Getting to play live with the band on the acoustic and radio shows was kind of a bonus. I'll ask about Donington. My guess is that he mixed and didn't play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could claim it was a bad auto-correction, but it wasn't. I was just glad for both Les and Jamie and trying to show my support. I must also have been thinking of other things at the time because my wife and I are really looking forward to seeing David Grissom at XPRS13. Or is it Daydream Chisolm? Daryl Grissle?

~ Ruger PC Malaprop (wriggling atop my own petard)

Last edited:
Back