Some Bernie help please...re: mounting posts

Bahnzo

One issue I have with these mounting posts, is the slot is seemingly poorly sized. It's too big for many screwdrivers, and I even tried a (American) quarter, and it's too small. This leads to being really hard to adjust the height, and I'm constantly in danger of stripping the slots on these posts. They already have some chips due to screwdrivers slipping.

First: what are others using to adjust these? Is there something that fits just right? It's really one of my HUGE frustrations with an otherwise great guitar.

Second: where can I find a replacement? I checked John Mann's site and didn't come up with anything, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have one...I just didn't see it. I know that I'm going to have to replace these at some point.

Thanks.

Here you go

I loosen strings and use a quarter, or the edge of a metal ruler.
Quarter doesn't fit mine, it's slightly too large. Believe me, I tried that.

Of course, loosening the strings. However, that takes the bow out of the neck and is adding way too much time and frustration to the changing of strings. These damn posts are so loose, they change their height every time I change strings and I have to adjust them every time. None of my other guitars with a setup like this (335 ibanez, LP) needs to have this done.

I found these "mending plates" at the hardware store. 2 inches wide and just slimmer than a quarter. I think they'll work, but the real solution is a set of posts that actually fit the inserts properly. I'll check the one's John Mann surely has and see if they'll improve things.

Are your studs stock? I have found some John mann ones fit too tight. And I encountered the exact same issue. I had to change the studs back to PRS brand and the issue resolved.

A flat iron corner of the appropriate size and thickness would do perfectly, a fine sandpaper to soften the edges!
Pxq1Fp9.jpg

So you can move the posts.
After you get them finally set, on your next string change, use some painters tape to hold the bridge and posts in place.Just a small piece across the tops of the posts should hold in all in place.
Yep, plus one on the painters tape. I put some over the studs every time I change strings. Before I take the old ones off.

I use one these multi tools from philadelphia luthier tools

The width is perfect for the posts on se's & cores

To take the slack out of posts I wrap a little bit of damp cigarette paper around the stud as I threading it into bushing (old roadies trick that I was taught) no more unwanted movement

To take the slack out of posts I wrap a little bit of damp cigarette paper around the stud as I threading it into bushing (old roadies trick that I was taught) no more unwanted movement

You could probably also use some pipe thread tape. I use that on my Strat tremolo arms.

LOL... The bottle opener is a must have for me, since I've... um... out-grown my cool belts...

Back