Soft / porous fretboard - Is this an issue?

Prina

Avoiding imperial entanglements
Over the last 6 months I've jumped hard onto the PRS bandwagon, especially SE245's and now have 4, all Korean and am really happy with them, in addition to the original '22 S2 594 SC. My only question is regarding the most recent one, a 7.6 pound 2013 and still in the return period, is the fretboard. As shown on the picture, it's really porous on the sides and is softer than any rosewood fretboard that I've ever had. You can dent it slightly with a fingernail. Also as shown, the edge of the fretboard is slightly scalloped laterally between the frets and the fret edges stick out a little and are a bit sharp in places though none seem loose. I've never seen a fretboard drink tung oil the way this one does.

I'm guessing that I could have a luthier smooth the fret edges and have no problem throwing lots more tung oil at it, and the guitar is nice otherwise and plays and sounds great, but am wondering if I should be concerned about the rosewood having problems longer term.

BPD38290.jpg

Those may be the biggest pores I have seen on a rosewood fretboard. The softness you are describing is what would worry me the most. If it were me, I would probably return it and try again.

Adding oil probably didn’t help the situation
Interesting. Learning more about how tung oil hardens thru polymerization might be the most enlightening aspect of this experience.

From the Wikipedia entry on tung oil:
"The primary constituent is a fatty acid with a chain of 18 linked carbon atoms or methylene units containing three conjugated double bonds. They are especially sensitive to autoxidation, which encourages cross linking of neighboring chains, hence hardening of the base resin.
...after it cures (5 to 30 days, weather/temperature related), the result is a very hard and easily repaired finish, so it is used on boat decks and now on floors."

So it had seemed to me that this could help the softness, but maybe not. Either way, might be best to return it.

Last edited:
Interesting. Learning more about how tung oil hardens thru polymerization might be the most enlightening aspect of this experience.

From the Wikipedia entry on tung oil:
"The primary constituent is a fatty acid with a chain of 18 linked carbon atoms or methylene units containing three conjugated double bonds. They are especially sensitive to autoxidation, which encourages cross linking of neighboring chains, hence hardening of the base resin.
...after it cures (5 to 30 days, weather/temperature related), the result is a very hard and easily repaired finish, so it is used on boat decks and now on floors."

So it had seemed to me that this could help the softness, but maybe not. Either way, might be best to return it.
Seems counterintuitive to add oil to a soft fret board. No matter what type of oil. It’s going to seep into the fret slots and loosen them up. Last time I checked, a boat deck and a musical instrument are vastly different things. Your guitar, your choice.
I wouldn’t roll the dice either way. Good luck!:)

Return it.
That fretboard shouldn't have left the factory.
Return it? I didn't think PRS was still making guitars in Korea. is this a new ax?

Looks like the fingerboard shrank a little (sort of normal) and the frets being metal, didn't.

An easy fix if you're experienced with tools and know what you're doing.

Last edited:
I didn't think PRS was still making guitars in Korea. is this a new ax?
Korean production stopped in '20. Got this '13 from GC and they have a 45 day used return policy.

Have to agree with everyone else on this score.
That fretboard looks terrible tbh, huge pores and those scallops between frets are never going to get any better.
I'm pretty sure you will find another example without those issues fairly easily.

I own an SE 245 made in Korea, and there is something about the build quality that makes me play it so often, even though I prefer a different neck shape. And if the SE DGT is as good as all the raves, you could have this one.

Oh, and I would sent that one back. The Korean models do pop up for sale often enough.

Back