So long...it's been good to know you!

Don't worry about liquidating gear as it'll be too much of a distraction and too much work. Enjoy your guitars.

A well regarded member of the Jazz Guitar Forum passed years ago and he put descriptions and estimated sales price in the cases of his guitars and arranged for a musician friend to help sell his gear after his passing. This was a tremendous help to his wife and members of the forum purchased nearly the entire collection.

Focus on that which makes you smile, find time for that which makes you laugh, have a good cry. Don't worry about the inevitable - that'll happen, or not, whether your worry or not.

Peace my friend.

p.s. Make time for mischief. Nothing soothes the soul like getting into some good natured trouble!

Last edited:
Lew, and Greywolf, I'm glad you are letting us know. Too many times people disappear from here with no warning. I hope you can be as comfortable as possible and can reflect on many good memories. Your sharing of gorgeous wood and guitars has been very educational and your presence has been valuable.

Please keep sharing as long as you can, on any subject. Again, thank you and I'm sorry you're both going through this!

I had a great Sunday brunch with my Family grandkids creating all the joyful chaos , as they settled down to thier games I talked with my Son , and his Fiancee and my X about the future and what to do with the collection . Before it all gets too emotional and we can still talk objectively , thankfully they are still largely in denial so it makes it easier. The rest of the Estate sets the grown kids up very nicely , but while both played .. neither has a passion for it, luckily all of the grands do .

I've tagged specific instruments for each, but that leaves a LOT , so I made it very clear I wanted the collection curated by the senior members , and each new child for the generations going forward will get one .. until the original collection is gone .. and hopefully they keep the tradition up .

I can't think of anything cooler than to have an instrument built or played by a great great granpa .. As long as they are remembered , as all the ones I've built, a little part of me will be floating in the joyous sounds they make and bring a smile to others for years to come..

That my friends is my idea of heaven , nirvana , and valhalla

This thread….
Guys I am so full of the feelings for you and your families. My Dad just died on the 3rd from cancer. Hospice is a strange time. He went from fear to bravado to remorse and then pure joy many times every day. About six weeks ago I asked him if there was anything I could do for him. His answer was. “Just be happy for me” I have been trying to be happy for him since. In the end I have no idea what matters but it does seem as though beeing happy for someones life is the best way to be.

With love and care,
James

I'm a hermit except for the Cafe' so very few people know and I don't tell them ... , because as soon as folks know .. they treat you different, kind of like being a cripple ( been there) or with any form of mental "illness" . It's a sad commentary , but that is the way of the world.

Making peace with this world, and letting go ,trying to pass knowledge you can , while you can .. a frustrating task that seems impossible .
Keeping the illusion all is well and Life is grand, my current pastime . So 3 nights of work , and 4 days of rest to recover. ..

Never let them see you weak , hold your weary head high to the final note.

Last edited:
Lew, and Greywolf, I'm glad you are letting us know. Too many times people disappear from here with no warning.
I agree with this. I also agree with someones right to privacy should they decide not to tell us. I'll respect whichever path someone takes on this because it's their choice that matters. However, I'm sure glad you two chose to let us know.

I had a great Sunday brunch with my Family grandkids creating all the joyful chaos , as they settled down to thier games I talked with my Son , and his Fiancee and my X about the future and what to do with the collection . Before it all gets too emotional and we can still talk objectively , thankfully they are still largely in denial so it makes it easier. The rest of the Estate sets the grown kids up very nicely , but while both played .. neither has a passion for it, luckily all of the grands do .

I've tagged specific instruments for each, but that leaves a LOT , so I made it very clear I wanted the collection curated by the senior members , and each new child for the generations going forward will get one .. until the original collection is gone .. and hopefully they keep the tradition up .

I can't think of anything cooler than to have an instrument built or played by a great great granpa .. As long as they are remembered , as all the ones I've built, a little part of me will be floating in the joyous sounds they make and bring a smile to others for years to come..

That my friends is my idea of heaven , nirvana , and valhalla
That's a super cool idea. I love this.

How many guitars have you built? Do you have a 'signature model' that you designed? Do you have a favorite guitar that you've built? Photos?

Sorry to hijack, but I'm an amateur luthier myself, and I've been curious for awhile, if you don't mind sharing.

I've been building instruments for 40 years , inspired by both Alembic and PRS . Each one is unique as they are all customs. I have a few faves, this semi , 24 fret neck thru with Dragon II / Harmonic Design Z90 for Joe Marcinek is my fave... he plays a Silver Sky these days .. I'm the chap with the glasses , giving the instrument to Joe. That was 3 surgeries and 30 lbs ago ...
attachment.php
attachment.php

Oh man... I needed a break from work and figured I'd pop in for some light relief. And I read this thread with a lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach. I don't know you guys (Lew and Wolf) but I wish you easy days ahead. That's all. Peace.

P.S. Don't stop playing/practicing... you're going to need it for "The Great Gig in the Sky"
Nice one! Thank you.

We all have issues or are gonna have 'em.

Just like 'On the internet, no one knows you're a dog', here on the Forum anyone can act and feel like things are totally fine, and that part of life, just talking gear and artistry with some like minded/ talented/experienced/smart/hilarious folks is really nice.

Jeez. I just joined this Forum a few days ago, so I can't say I'm familiar with Lew or Greywolf. After reading through this thread I feel like I know a little something about both. Sorry for your situations. I don't know what else to say, other than I hope you make the most of the rest your time.
None of us will be too far behind.

We are all on the same journey , some of us just reach the end sooner. The trick is to savor each moment, each person , each note you play .

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Back