Singing the Praises of the 2-Channel "C"

MarkFromHawaii

I'm a bit sad to find that it's not offered anymore. Personally I did a lot of listening via YouTube between the "H" and the "C" and I thought the "C" was suited more to my tastes. I like that upper-mid growl that EL34 power sections produce. When I received it, I opened it up and found a small Belton 3-spring reverb unit. It's not the lushest verb but being a small unit, it will never "sproing" if the head is knocked about (yes, I tried this test). I also found inside, Winged C EL34s for which I was pleasantly surprised - good tubes. The "C" is for the Cinemag output transformer which adds a bit of cost to the head. I usually use a Bogner Alchemist 2-12 (Celestion Greenback G12M and G12H) open back cab with this head. But I've also open her up with a Marshall 1960A loaded with Greenbacks - very tight and woody bass. Just about any shade of clean can be had on the clean channel but the lead channel is where this amp shines. The key to a great Marshallesque dirt tone with this amp is to carefully set the bass control. Too much and it gets flabby - seems like the sweet spot is between 9 and 12 o'clock. I also place a Boss ME-70 multi-FX in the effects loop for modulation and delay and also use the boost on the ME-70 and/or an Exotic Effects RC Booster. The RC, especially, lets me set a bit of crunch with the lead channel gain and boost with more hair for solos without changing the basic EQ. Anyway, I love this head and would like to see a Custom version of it. How about it Doug Sewell?

The HXDA has a Cinemag transformer, but I'm not sure if it's the same one. If it is and you want a Custom amp, I'd highly recommend it.

In any event, they're sure making great amps, aren't they?

I have one of the first 20 "C" amps that were released before they started labelling them "2 channel C" and love it.

The HXDA has a Cinemag transformer, but I'm not sure if it's the same one. If it is and you want a Custom amp, I'd highly recommend it.

In any event, they're sure making great amps, aren't they?

The 50W Cinemag output transformer was blueprinted from a famous 50W Marshall head. All of the 50W amps use the same Cinemag output transformer.

So how do you gents like the C's compared to the H's? I've not tried a C but from what I've heard clips of, the cleans sound great and have a bit of a different flavor from the H - a really great EL34 clean that you don't hear very often...

I was also a bit disappointed that the C is being discontinued. I think with appropriate revisions like the H has gotten, it could definitely stay relevant.

The differences between transformers are a bit over my head, but I have run 6L6s and EL34s and 6550s all in the same amp and my ears prefer EL34s. I'm sure the C didn't sell well because the H was (on the surface) the same amp for $300 less than the C.

I have one of the first 20 "C" amps that were released before they started labelling them "2 channel C" and love it.

I have one also and it is my #1.

So how do you gents like the C's compared to the H's? I've not tried a C but from what I've heard clips of, the cleans sound great and have a bit of a different flavor from the H -

I have both. To my ear, the C has far superiors cleans. The H has more modern dirt whereas the C tends to crunch.

+1 love my 2 Channel C. just purchased a flame maple panel for it yesterday!!!! :)

I'm thinking about bringing mine over to PTC to have it housed in paisley with a flame maple face plate :biggrin:

I have one also and it is my #1.

I have both. To my ear, the C has far superiors cleans. The H has more modern dirt whereas the C tends to crunch.

I realize this is an old thread but I have come across a new old stock 2 Channel C. Unfortunately it's not close enough for me to actually test out. We play a lot of 80's covers and hard rock (ac/dc, G n R, Kizz). H or C?

I realize this is an old thread but I have come across a new old stock 2 Channel C. Unfortunately it's not close enough for me to actually test out. We play a lot of 80's covers and hard rock (ac/dc, G n R, Kizz). H or C?

both will be quite satisfactory. are you the only guitar in the band?

both will be quite satisfactory. are you the only guitar in the band?

Not usually but at times yes. We do play some Eagles, Steppenwolf at times. Want to make sure the H is not too hot for those type of tracks.

Had my 2 channel C arrive today. I have to say, I do not understand why this was discontinued. The clean channel goes from clean to break up amazingly. The lead channel has just the right amount of gain. It dials up crunch with out getting garbled. What a linear response from the gain control. Playing through a boogie 2 x 12 with v30's. Great pairing.

http://postimg.org/image/ophbb0jjp/

Last edited:
That's a beautiful rig!

I use the same cab with my HXDA. Sounds great.

It is sad to discontinue a great amp...but maybe they had good reasons.

What does the 2 channel Custom 50 have for a transformer?

I've hear a lot of people singing praises of the C. Must be a wickedly good amp.

That's a beautiful rig!

I use the same cab with my HXDA. Sounds great.

It is sad to discontinue a great amp...but maybe they had good reasons.

What does the 2 channel Custom 50 have for a transformer?

I think it's the Heyboer. I think it's basically an H with more bells and whistles.

Back