Silver Sky String 11-46 bad idea?

kimito001

Hey guys nice to join the forum as I got my first PRS.

I just got a Silversky SE and want to make the tone a little warmer on the lighter strings so I ordered a custom string with 11, 14, 18, 26, 36, 46. It’s pretty much a hybrid of 10 and 11 string gauge. Do you think it will twist the neck or do damage to the guitar by any chance? Or will it sound too flat on the chords because of the less difference in tones of the strings?

First question - at most, you may need a slight tweak of the truss rod, but I can't imagine you're going to twist the neck.

Second question - only one way to find out, and you'll be doing that when you put them on and start playing. Your ears will tell you. Whether it's a positive, negative, or neutral, your opinion is the one that will matter.

I’m sure it’ll be fine. Those are still light strings. I string my maple neck tele with much heavier strings for slide. 12 - 52.

In the 50’s people strung their strats with 12’s and 13’s with a wound G string!

First question - at most, you may need a slight tweak of the truss rod, but I can't imagine you're going to twist the neck.

Second question - only one way to find out, and you'll be doing that when you put them on and start playing. Your ears will tell you. Whether it's a positive, negative, or neutral, your opinion is the one that will matter.
Yeah I am really liking the single coil sounds coming from two LPs but bridge tone just not sticking with me even with the tone knob down + amp eq. Gonna take the guitar to the local shop for the set up and might adjust the pick up heights too. Thank you!

Yeah I am really liking the single coil sounds coming from two LPs but bridge tone just not sticking with me even with the tone knob down + amp eq. Gonna take the guitar to the local shop for the set up and might adjust the pick up heights too. Thank you!

You can learn to set the pickup height yourself.

First adjust your action where you like it and set the intonation.

Then hold the low E down at the highest fret and adjust the pickups on that side so the polepiece is about 1/8" away from the underside of the string.

Hold the high E down at the highest fret and adjust the pickups on that side so the polepiece is about 1/16" away from the underside of the string.

Use that as a starting point or if you like it leave it that way.

You can usually move the bridge pickup a little closer to the string than the you can with the other two pickups.

You might like to start using a compressor. Keep it subtle. Don't overdo it.

The Wampler Ego is the one I use and recommend. It's very transparent and if you set it up right it acts like a boost that fattens the tone and you can hardly hear that it's even on.

Until you turn it off. ;)

Last edited:
You can learn to set the pickup height yourself.

First adjust your action where you like it and set the intonation.

Then hold the low E down at the highest fret and adjust the pickups on that side so the polepiece is about 1/8" away from the underside of the string.

Hold the high E down at the highest fret and adjust the pickups on that side so the polepiece is about 1/16" away from the underside of the string.

Use that as a starting point or if you like it leave it that way.

You can usually move the bridge pickup a little closer to the string than the you can with the other two pickups.

You might like to start using a compressor. Keep it subtle. Don't overdo it.

The Wampler Ego is the one I use and recommend. It's very transparent and if you set it up right it acts like a boost that fattens the tone and you can hardly hear that it's even on.

Until you turn it off. ;)
Yeah, really looking into buying a compressor. I was wishing I could somehow set comp + drive + drive setting in my POD go but I am running out of PDS. I might buy an independent compressor to run it before putting it into the PDO go. I love playing live and it's fun dealing with these issues. On that day you get a perfect sound the joy is just like getting high.

Brent Mason is probably Nashville’s #1 session ace, and he uses the Wampler Ego compressor. That’s the one I use. I do use it as a boost. I also use it to fatten up the tone of my Strat and Silver Sky, and I use it in front of my overdrive pedals to push them a little more. It’s a great pedal.

Brent Mason is probably Nashville’s #1 session ace, and he uses the Wampler Ego compressor. That’s the one I use. I do use it as a boost. I also use it to fatten up the tone of my Strat and Silver Sky, and I use it in front of my overdrive pedals to push them a little more. It’s a great pedal.

That's one pedal so good I bought it twice!

Back