Silver Sky Single Note Overtones, Not Pickup Height?

sixstringoverdrive

Hello Everyone,

My Silver Sky is doing this thing where higher up on the fretboard (9th fret and up), I'll play a single note and there is this overtone that comes out and creates almost a "wah" sound - exactly like when you play an octave and it's out of tune - those dissonant waves. Normally I wouldn't care, but it is coming through the amp. It's really noticeable on the low E string and G string, higher up on the fretboard.

So I started messing with the pickup heights to see if I could eliminate this. I dropped everything to be flush with the pick guard and while it got a little better, it's still happening. I brought the pickups back up to 1/64" lower than factory specs.

If I play 9th fret on the G string, it makes this overtone and wave/wah effect. However! If I go two frets down and bend up to that same note, there is just the note - no waves, no wah.

I can also tell you this doesn't happen on the B string (go figure).

I'm really starting to think it's the frets or the neck - I had this happening on my McCarty and after a setup and fret level, it no longer does it.

Anyone else have something like this happen?

It sounds from your description like classical Strat-itis where the magnetic pull of the neck and/or middle pickup poles is causing unwanted overtones. The most-cited solution is to lower the pickups, especially on the bass side.

I have no such issues with my Silver Skys or any of the ones I have set up or played.
I would first look at the neck angle, a minor change can make a HUGE difference.
Then I would first try damping the trem springs .
next be sure all the saddle screws are well seated.
or in general look for anything that can vibrate , resonate.
Last but most important Contact PRS

It sounds from your description like classical Strat-itis where the magnetic pull of the neck and/or middle pickup poles is causing unwanted overtones. The most-cited solution is to lower the pickups, especially on the bass side.

Thanks for your reply. I thought this as well and while it helps somewhat to lower the pickups, it doesn't "cure" the issue. Right now they are 1/64" lower than factory spec. I'll keep fiddling and contact a repair tech for more help.

I have no such issues with my Silver Skys or any of the ones I have set up or played.
I would first look at the neck angle, a minor change can make a HUGE difference.
Then I would first try damping the trem springs .
next be sure all the saddle screws are well seated.
or in general look for anything that can vibrate , resonate.
Last but most important Contact PRS

Thanks for your reply. It's strange because as I mentioned - my McCarty was doing the same thing and after a setup w/fret dressing/level, it is gone (and the tech put the pickups higher to the strings than these are on the silver sky). Interesting on the tremolo springs - they are providing quite a bit of reverb/resonance with the guitar. I'll try to dampen them and see what happens. I'll mess with the saddle screws and contact a repair tech about this as well.

Back