Silver Sky and Fiore

Markcarl

I know the Silver Sky is an SSS guitar and the Fiore is HSS. Other than that, I don’t know much about how similar / different they are. Does anyone own both or has anyone played both? If so, how did they compare? Did you prefer one over the other?

I played both, the SilSky was a little bit odd, due to the cheap (plastic) haptic feelings of several hardware parts likewise tuners, knobs, switch tip. The Fiore appeared more worthwhile in this comparison.
Regarding sound - in a SSS setup - SilSky is designed as a vintage sounding guitar with a destinct role model in mind. The Fiore is a studio and stage guitar, to offer a versatile instrument.
In SSS they sound relatively similar, the SilSky makes you to have the opinion to play a Strat made by a different manufactor.

Optically I would prefer the Fiore more, because of its translucent lacquer which shows off with the stain of the wood, the pickguardless top.
Personally I'm not going to purchase any of those, because I own two 513s, which soundwise offer all I need from SC to HB and in between. Optically I have no concerns, and the hardware is flawless, too.

I know the Silver Sky is an SSS guitar and the Fiore is HSS. Other than that, I don’t know much about how similar / different they are. Does anyone own both or has anyone played both? If so, how did they compare? Did you prefer one over the other?

At the end of the day - both guitars are great but preference is a personal thing and also will depend on what you want/need from your guitar. Therefore what I prefer is not really relevant as I am not purchasing or playing it - unless you are planning to Purchase it for me :p

If I was after a Classic Strat like guitar, after those great Strat tones without being too bright/ice-picky - then the Silver Sky would be my preference over the Fiore, but if I wanted a more versatile guitar to offer more than just your 'typical' Strat like tones, then the Fiore makes more sense. I do prefer the Fiore from an aesthetic perspective - but aesthetics would be secondary to my requirements.

I have both a Special and 509 - both 'HSH' guitars with individual Coil Splitting to offer HSS, SSH or SSS like layout so I haven't felt the need to add either to my collection personally. Neither really do the 'Strat' sound as well as the Silver Sky in my opinion, but good enough for anything I play. I am 'not' chasing a Specific tone - like a Vintage Strat Single Coil sound for example but will use what I have to play what I want with the range of Gear I own, 'My' Tone - not Jimi's, not Mayor's, not Lettieri's so I am happy to use my Special or 509 instead.

My suggestion is to try both and decide which will suit your Preferences the most, what you think will inspire you to pick it up and keep playing etc. Other than that, watch demo's and decide whether you want a Vintage Fender Strat alternative (Silver Sky) or Something a bit more versatile and perhaps cover more territory to play and create your music with. Its you that will be buying and playing the guitar so go for that one that you 'Prefer' first, then get the other one if/when you want/need it!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but having washed my hands of my SE Silver Sky Maple, I'm now master debating with myself as to whether to replace it with a USA Silver Sky or a Fiore. There are things I like about both. I like that the Fiore has the more PRS traditional 10" fret board radius as I tend to favor a flatter fretboard since I find it easier for tapping versus the rounder vintage Fender type fretboard.

Aesthetically, I mostly prefer the look of the Silver Sky as I've never really liked the look of direct mounted pickups on an HSS Strat style guitar (exception to that being an Ibanez S series guitar...even on an HSS RG, I prefer them with a pickguard as opposed to without). On the body shape of the both the Fiore and Silver Sky, I prefer an input that's mounted to the front of the body versus on the side as well. One aesthetic aspect of the Fiore I like better than Silver Sky, however is that the Fiore has a trem cover plate. In my opinion, Silver Sky also has better colors. For some reason or another I'm just not crazy about the colors offered for the Fiore.

Sound wise, like the sound of the neck and middle single coils I've heard in videos of the Silver Sky as compared to the neck and middle single coils in the Fiore. To me, the Silver Sky pickups sound more like true single coils where the beefier midrange in the Fiore makes them sound more P90 to me. As much as I liked the tones of my SE Silver Sky, I never found myself using positions 1 and 2 on the pickup selector because the bridge pickup just didn't have enough oomph for me. Don't get me wrong, It's a great sounding pickup if you're going for blues and classic rock, but for me, I need something that can drive my amp a little harder, hence my taking a look at the Fiore. The option of a bridge humbucker that can be toggled between series and parallel seems like the right option for me in this type of guitar.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has or had both and what your thoughts are. Is it just me thinking that the Fiore single coils have a fatter beefier sound where the Silver Sky singles have a brighter, more jangly traditional Strat tone? given the way that the push-pull tone pots are wired up from the factory on the Fiore, how hard would it be for a competent tech to swap out the factory single coils for something like a pair of Bare Knuckles or Monty's? AN inquiring mind wants to know.

Looks matter too!
For sure looks matter, and frankly I like the look of both the Silver Sky and Fiore, but overall, I prefer the look of the Silver Sky for a Strat style guitar. I will admit, though that I can get past the looks or grow to like a guitar's looks, even where I'm lukewarm on them at first, if the guitar's tone can blow me away. That's what wound up happening when I first tried an S2 guitar in a shop near me years ago. Sadly I didn't have the ability to try a semi-hollow out first before taking the plunge on my S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow, that ended up being a rather expensive run of experimenting with different pickups to get that particular guitar sounding the way I wanted it to.

Back