Semi Hollowbody

mark cassidy

Ok, first off big cheer because I have been given the green light to get the gift of a semi-hollowbody for Christmas!!! Slight downside - it has to be an economy model until I can save up properly for the 594 I dream / drool for (which, yeah I know, that's not a SH but it is my dream machine). That's fine. I see this as a huge plus. So. I'm thinking SE SH. However, since I'm always one to question anything - and yeah, I know what the answer from all of you great folks is gonna be, but I have to ask, since I also know that you are an honest bunch - is there any point in me looking at an Epi 339, or one of those weird SH Strats? I already have a big SH, an Ibanez John Scofield, which, and now I need to be honest, I love. But it is very heavy. I also already have an SE SC, an SE Santana and an S2 24. They are fabulous machines BUT: will an SE SH, given the extra bucks over an Epi, be the right choice? Many thanks in advance, and I'm gonna take this opportunity to wish everyone a wonderful and Merry Christmas / holiday season, Hanuka and whatever other versions are out there. And I'm not being facetious. I am all for everybody and God (whichever one) Bless Everyone with PEACE!! MANY THX!!!

I was in a store a few weeks ago and played a used epi 339. I loved it so much I was seriously thinking of buying it but I’m glad I didn’t because I think the se hollowbody might just be fantastic.
Haven’t found one yet to try. So a few words about the 339. Very light. Small. Comfortable. Unplugged the tone is warm and rich. Plugged in it had a lot of nice tones but I didn’t play it long enough to say more specifically. I believe the pickups were the originals

QUOTE="mark cassidy, post: 520766, member: 28868"]Ok, first off big cheer because I have been given the green light to get the gift of a semi-hollowbody for Christmas!!! Slight downside - it has to be an economy model until I can save up properly for the 594 I dream / drool for (which, yeah I know, that's not a SH but it is my dream machine). That's fine. I see this as a huge plus. So. I'm thinking SE SH. However, since I'm always one to question anything - and yeah, I know what the answer from all of you great folks is gonna be, but I have to ask, since I also know that you are an honest bunch - is there any point in me looking at an Epi 339, or one of those weird SH Strats? I already have a big SH, an Ibanez John Scofield, which, and now I need to be honest, I love. But it is very heavy. I also already have an SE SC, an SE Santana and an S2 24. They are fabulous machines BUT: will an SE SH, given the extra bucks over an Epi, be the right choice? Many thanks in advance, and I'm gonna take this opportunity to wish everyone a wonderful and Merry Christmas / holiday season, Hanuka and whatever other versions are out there. And I'm not being facetious. I am all for everybody and God (whichever one) Bless Everyone with PEACE!! MANY THX!!![/QUOTE]

I own an SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow. It’s a fabulous guitar...: but it’s more a weight relieved/chambered sounding and feeling solid body guitar than a “hollowbody” vibe IMO.

If you can swing one of the new SE Hollowbody guitars, I’d recommend one of those over the Semi if you’re looking for something other than a lighter guitar with an F-hole aesthetic.

I agree that the PRS 'semi-hollow' guitars are more like a weight relieved alternative to a solid body rather than being something different. I know guitars like the 339 are 'Semi-hollow' because of the centre block but are also made with Laminate rather than solid wood. PRS SE Hollowbody uses Laminate too but the semi-hollow PRS guitars are more like a chambered build with an F-hole cut into the solid wood top.

I would think that the PRS SE Hollowbody would be most likely to give you that more characteristic Hollowbody sound. No one can say whether it will be the right choice for you over the Epi 339 as that would come down to personal preference. If its more about 'budget', the Epi 339 is a great value guitar and could well tide you over until you get your 594 - they do a 594 Hollowbody ii version (as well as semi-hollow versions if you can find one) but I think a semi-hollow PRS would be too much like the solid body and different from the 'semi-hollow' 339.

The new SE hollowbodies are indeed fully hollow guitars. Listen to the videos, and then play one if you can. I actually like the sound of the all mahogany Standard the best. I'm saving for one now.

Many thanks everyone! Research continues (which is as much fun as the getting anyway!)

Back