se245 truss rod

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by davrhod, Apr 15, 2013.

1. davrhod

davrhod New Member

hi everyone,
    my first post here.picked my new se 245 tobacco sunburst a couple of days ago,very impressed but needs a truss rod tweek.
    sadly mine didnt come with an adjustment tool,dealer said they dont.
    can anyone please tell me the correct size so i can pick one up from e bay.
    many thanks,dave.:D

2. carpincowboy

carpincowboy New Member

Mine came with a tool aswell as a lead and a trem spring for some bizarre reason. All in the gig bag front pocket. I think you should tell your dealer that they do come with the guitar. Sadly i cant remember the size. Sorry

3. davrhod

davrhod New Member

thanks for the reply.ill have another talk to the dealer.

4. Chris528

Chris528 New Member

Yeah I have gotten one with all 4 of my SEs.

5. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

I bought a couple SEs secondhand that did not come with a truss rod wrench. Rumor was that a Gibson USA wrench fit just fine. I put a WTB ad for that on another forum, somebody sent me one. This was like 4 years ago? I don't remember the details, whether the wrench I have is a SE or Gibson USA, or who sent it, or which forum I posted on about it. However, you might try that if all else fails.

6. Mikegarveyblues

Mikegarveyblues Cream Crackered

The tools should definitely come with the guitar/

TR adjustment tool
    Allen key for adjusting bridge and or saddles and or trem (depending on model)
    Cable
    Spare spring on trem equipped models
    Gig Bag

Got all the tools needed with both my SE's including the Bernie from Richtone in Sheffield. If it wasn't in the box or gig bag then the dealer should sort it.

7. davrhod

davrhod New Member

hi all,many thanks for the replies.no luck from dealer but prs say it should be 7mm-9/32 which should be easy enough to get hold of.
    thanks again,dave

8. Jon van derlim

Jon van derlim New Member

I didn't get any tools with my new SE, I assumed they didn't provide them to prevent people messing, and those who knew what what they are doing would have them..

I can't imagine the cable is up to much quality wise, I have a 9/32 socket and all the appropriate allen keys so probably wont hassle the dealer- if the Guitar is set up correctly for the strings etc why would the truss rod need adjustment?

9. CoreyT

CoreyT PRS Addiction

Have bought four 2012 SEs, and each one came with the red gigbag, and truss rod tool, tremolo tool, and extra spring.
    Someone is taking the tools out and keeping them it sounds like.

10. Boogeyman

Boogeyman New Member

Check Ebay....I see them in the parts section all the time

11. Mikegarveyblues

Mikegarveyblues Cream Crackered

The cable isn't great but it's useful as a spare.

With the TR it depend on if the factory set-up is how you want it. You may want less or more relief. There's also the possibility the neck curve may have changed in shipping and the chances of the shop having done a set-up are slim.

I need to tweak the TR's on all my guitars a couple of times a year to keep them exactly the way I want them. It's just going into Spring here now so I expect i'll need to attend to them pretty soon.

12. GoldtopSam

GoldtopSam New Member

PRS truss rod tool

Ok, this is the skinny. The PRS SE adjustment tool is a 7mm. Looks like a Gibson tool, but it's metric as opposed to Gibson's 5/16" tool. using a 9/32" is not a good thing to do. Use the correct size to prevent any risk of damage to the nut. Another thing, PRS has now gone to using a double action truss rod, even on the SE models. If your PRS SE has a brass nut, it is a single action truss rod. If it has a black steel or lighter colored steel nut, it is a dual action truss rod. Dual action truss rods do not need the same amount of turn to achieve the same result. PRS SE models are strung with .09-.42 gauge strings, except the Bernie Marsden(.10-.46 gauge). A few other models are strung with .10-.46 gauge. You will need to widen the nut slots if you want to use .10-.46 strings on models that are factory strung with .09-.42, or you might get string binding at the nut. Do not use the the truss rod to adjust action. It is for neck relief. PRS calls for capo at first fret, hold down at last fret, measure at eighth fret with a measurement of .010. This is correct spec for just about all models, as PRS uses a 10.0" radius, except on the Santana and a few other models.

13. GoldtopSam

GoldtopSam New Member

And if you want to use a socket, Craftsman makes thin walled sockets that will fit in the recess. Just use a 3.0" 1/4" extension or screwdriver handle with the 1/4" end that will fit the socket. Do not exceed 1/4 turn. If you have to go 1/2 turn, best get it to a guitar shop for inspection and proper setup. And remember, after a truss rod adjustment. it might take a day or two for the neck to 'settle in'. Peace.