SE to Core

mixmkr

Has anyone ever ordered a core online after only owning a SE....and rechecked your thinking?
It seems 100% have been super happy and blindly buying before playing has been a non issue. ..right?

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate buying a core online. I had the same hesitation as you with my first. I found it online but ended up purchasing in person. It was a "small" detour on the way to a weekend trip. My girlfriend at the time looked at the smile on my face and said buy it because she'd rather hear the guitar than about it all weekend if I didn't! Do it!!!

I'm cautious and so minimized the risk when I bought both of my Cores online: one from Guitar Center which has 45 day return policy (only need to pay the $25 shipping fee) and one from a Reverb seller with a 5 star rating and multiple prior PRS sales.

My S2 was from Dave's which has a great reputation.

All are great guitars.

this is good news.... now...to see if the bank account has just as good of news too!

It's that I'm only looking at PRS guitars nowadays as my lowly SE standard is just perfect to me in every way...from pickups, looks, neck feel, tuning stability and even how the trem arm hangs and is "right there" when needed. Its making my brain tell me I need another, thank you ma'am!

Has anyone ever ordered a core online after only owning a SE....and rechecked your thinking?
It seems 100% have been super happy and blindly buying before playing has been a non issue. ..right?
I can understand - jumping up from an SE to a Core is a Massive Financial Investment difference so you have that worry - will it be significantly better to match expectations or not, will it immediately be 'magical' or just be a great guitar that is just feels more quality but so are SE's Great Guitars., will arrive 'perfect or with faults/defects or worse, broken at that price, damaged in transit, lost in shipping...

Buy from reputable dealers and everything is usually fine, and will sort anything out if it doesn't meet what you expected for the money with return policies so you can check before fully deciding it's for you or return if not.

In my case, I can say every Core PRS I have bought online have all ended up staying in my collection. It's not easy finding the right colour in just my Local dealer so Shop the UK online when I want a New PRS Guitar to see if it's staying or not....

If you're worried about it getting 'worn' with the odd ding or two, with use, and maybe damaged too much at a gig, your SE is still a great guitar

I've bought more than a couple Cores online, and have only been unhappy once - and that was because the seller had made extensive mods that weren't disclosed in the ad.

I don't hesitate to buy Cores online, but I do check out the seller's feedback closely if it's not a reputable shop. I just bought my 1997 Custom 22 Stoptail from a private seller on Reverb with good feedback, and it's a freaking great guitar.

Last edited:
I might be the contrarian of the bunch but didn't like buying a core online. In fact I didn't really fall in love with my SCHB that I bought online until I rebuilt it to my specs. It reaffirmed my view of having to actually put a guitar in my hands before buying it, especially the $$ required for a core PRS.

That said I am also one of the main proponents of moving up to core USA from SE or S2 lines of instruments. As good as they are, they do not compare to the real deal.

Do yourself the biggest favor, whatever it takes, get to a shop that actually stocks them and feel the love for yourself. It will also help you in deciding which core model and specs that fit you, for when you're actually ready to take the plunge.

*Disclaimer- Although I've owned several SE models over the years, my first PRS was a USA core CU22.;)

The one-and-only guitar I've bought online in the last twenty years is my Silver Sky Dead Spec, and it's a spectacularly good guitar.

I’ve purchased more than a few Core models online. I’ve never been “unhappy” but there was one exception. A 94’ CE that needed a fret level, which was not disclosed by the seller.

Back