SE Soapbar II Maple with bridge humbucker?

Furtive

Knight of Bangin'ess
Anyone do this?

There was a Soapbar II Maple on ebay with the bridge route already hacked for cheap, and uh.... I don't need to explain myself here, do I? Missing all electronics but included everything else (strung with no pickups, sounds very transparent). Already got an SE soapbar neck pu on ebay, and was thinking for that bridge space...

How about a 25 year old Seymour Duncan zebra JB? Got one sitting in an old Frankenstrat that sees no use. Amber SE knobs, zebra hb in the neck (black mounting ring), chrome toggle, and the soapbar neck? Sound legit?

Looking at that guitar, I feel like Lenny...

zRuxMtxHolofcpfNnlXCNQWoAvstghhQ5ZlAGLrPUqU.jpg

I was just going to post the same question! I would think that people would mix really low output vintage single coils in the neck and an active humbucker in the neck so you can get the best of both worlds without 2 guitars. The one I'm thinking of doing is a hot P90 in the neck or bridge (which is better?) with a non descript, middle of the road humbucker as the other pickup.

At 9:30 this morning, just as I finishing brewing my pot of coffee, FedEx arrives with the box of parts from PRS. Great way to start a relaxing Saturday. Worked on half a dozen guitars (some just little things like replacing straplocks with PRS buttons), and got the Soapbar II roughed out. Not wired up yet, that will be done (along with several other guits) another weekend. Had to hack the bridge pu route further with a dremel; it ain't pretty but everything is covered up by the PRS hb mounting ring. Presenting SE Soapbar 2.5:
DSC_0194_zpsr4obqf2u.jpg

I was aiming to have Soapbar 2.5 resemble the `89 CE I sold to a buddy 20 years ago. The jerk not only still owns it, but laughs at my attempts to buy it back. This was the best PRS I ever owned or played, the one that got away. Early `89 with serial number around 700.

20151120_213145_zpssuykv4ob.jpg

Right on! I bought my Soapbar II purely because it was sooo cheap, and am continuously surprised at a what a Bangin'! guitar it is.

I think this thread answers my question. I picked up a 04 SE soapbar for peanuts because someone had put a tone rider alnico IV in the bridge position and stuck a scratch plate on. I was thinking of putting the P90 back in but as Furtive here had to dremel to bridge cavity to fit the humbucker, the chances are that has been done to my guitar too....just as well there's an 05 soapbar ii maple in Blue matteo coming this week.

Back