SE Singlecut questions

IRG

Probably has been covered before, but with newer models out, thought I might ask again. Looking at adding a SE Singlecut, the question is which one. How are the body shapes/thickness - what are the differences between models? Seems like the regular 245 is thickest. Curious how the Friedman and SE Standard compare. Also the mix of mahogany/maple? The Standard and regular Tremonti have none, Tremonti Custom has a veneer, and a maple neck, Friedman has maple top, but no veneer (which it doesn't need obviously being all black). Looking at these so far, prefer it to be black in color, and wide fat neck:

SE Marty Friedman (beveled maple top, maybe thicker than a veneer?). Adjustable bridge, 25" scale, wide fat neck carve. $649

SE Tremonti - all mahogany body. Wide fat neck carve, $559.

SE Tremonti Custom - maple veneer top, maple neck, tremolo, wide-thin neck, $709.

SE Standard 245 - all mahogany, 24.5" scale, wide-fat neck, $499

SE 245 - thick mahogany, beveled maple top and veneer, 24.5" scale, wide fat neck. No black color, unless Soapbar model. $629

SE Bernie Marsden - Mahogany, beveled maple top and veneer (same as the 245 thickness?), wide fat neck, 24.5" scale, different tuners, 2 vol/1 tone control. $629 black.

I'm leaning towards the Friedman, not sure why exactly. Seems like a good match to my SE Clint Lowery. The Tremonti Custom is the most different one in this group, with a tremolo and maple neck. Wonder how bright it is? I'm guessing the Standard 245 is the darkest in the bunch. My musical tastes run the gamut, but play a more modern, aggressive type style lately.

Just noticed that MF has the SE Marty Friedman on sale (today only?) for $449. Killer price. Might have to do it...

No one eh?

Well, in looking at the MF sale of the Marty Friedman model, I was checking out the 2 for sale at Sweetwater. One is 7lbs 3 oz, the other 9lbs, 8oz. That's a big weight difference, more than 2lbs. I know guitars fluctuate based on the woods used, but for the same model, and being a PRS, I'm a bit surprised by this. I like a little heft, but over 9lbs I'm not as keen on. I wonder then, if this is as thick of a model as the 245.

Not sure about the Friedman...

The Marsden is thick. Nice half inch maple cap with the veneer on that. What makes the Marsden stand out is the neck. Advertised as wide fat but it's carve is based on Bernie's '59 LP. Nice solid neck without being uncomfortably large.

Mine is 8lbs but as you have seen the weights can vary substantially.

The stock SE245 pups are good but you could go with something a bit hotter from PRS such as the M pups or from other makes such as Suhr, Bare Knuckle, Seymour Duncan, etc...

I have a traditional PAF-alike pup in the neck from Bare Knuckle but a hot A5 based Doug Aldrich pup in the bridge by Suhr. They compliment each other well but cover a huge amount of ground.

Not sure about the Friedman...

The Marsden is thick. Nice half inch maple cap with the veneer on that. What makes the Marsden stand out is the neck. Advertised as wide fat but it's carve is based on Bernie's '59 LP. Nice solid neck without being uncomfortably large.

Mine is 8lbs but as you have seen the weights can vary substantially.

The stock SE245 pups are good but you could go with something a bit hotter from PRS such as the M pups or from other makes such as Suhr, Bare Knuckle, Seymour Duncan, etc...

I have a traditional PAF-alike pup in the neck from Bare Knuckle but a hot A5 based Doug Aldrich pup in the bridge by Suhr. They compliment each other well but cover a huge amount of ground.

Thanks Mike, I would do something similar, hot bridge pickup, and maybe more PAF like in the neck, as long as there is no mud quality. I also like having my neck pickup with a split coil option, the bridge not so much. Been looking into the SD Sentient for neck, and either the Pegasus or the Nazgul for the bridge. We'l see...

I'm not a fan of veneers, so I like the Friedman or Tremonti Standard. Either will deliver big tones.

Mahogany can definitely vary a lot in weight. I've browsed a ton of PRS guitars on Sweetwater, and the variance seems to be 1.5 up to 2 lbs.

Sounds like Mike has a setup similar to the USA Tremonti. It's a killer combo. Very versatile.

Back