S2 Custom questions

alex1fly

Digging my S2 McCarty a good deal and looking to replace my SE Custom with an S2 as well. My SE is the Floyd version with a maple neck and no maple top. I'm seeing that the S2s have maple top instead of a veneer and a mahogany neck instead of maple. So I guess I'm wondering if you get a similar sound/feel from the maple neck on the SE vs the mahogany neck + maple top on the S2 (assuming same pickups of course).

Also curious what is different about the 24-08 (switching?) and the Anniversary models of the S2 Custom (Core pickups?)

I felt like I heard an improvement in the sound when I went from an SE Custom 24 35th Anniversary (basically a 24-08) to an S2 Custom 24-08. The sound felt a bit fuller to me, and there was more resonance. I should also mention that I went from the TCI-S pickups to the 85/15-S pickups, and I preferred the latter in the S2. The neck also felt better to me, and the bevel cut was more comfortable for my forearm. Honestly, the bevel cut was the main reason that I upgraded. Some of us guitar players hate the feeling of our arms on the 90 degree angle of the violin carve. I have to have a forearm contour due to the way that I like to hold the guitar (classical position with a footstool).

The Anniversary models have core pickups and 5-way switching. Theoretically, you get better sounds, but less variation. Quality versus quantity.

I love the S2 line for the reasons mentioned above...I currently have 5...I have a Core and an SE and the S2s are my favorite....

Yep forearm bevel is a game changer. My se custom plays and sounds incredible but if I’m being honest the hard edge is a big reason why I don’t pick the guitar up more. Bevel makes it feel like a luxury car. For some reason the SEs forearm edge is more prominent than the one on my Tele or LP.

Well now I'm having second thoughts. My SE Custom isn't really that different from my McCarty... hotter, thinner neck, scooped in the mids, a little more brash. So it is a little tricky to justify spending $1200-$1500 just to replace the SE. Ah indecision.

Yep, only you can make that decision. If you are willing to go used, you can get an older S2 Custom 24 in the $900-$1100 range. The S2 35th Anniversary guitars are still pretty pricey used if you absolutely have to have the 08 switching, around $1400ish.

All I can say is I love my S2 Cu24...I was playing it this morning!!!!

IMG-5847.jpg

What about an s2 standard 24? Those can be had for a smokin deal used.. Then you could have an all hog guitar with the s2 standard, floyd with maple cap for your se cu24, and your McCarty. If you ask me, used is the way to go all day regardless of the S2 model. Heck, I've seen them pop up as cheap as used a se, or darn close. No brainer

I like a Floyd myself, but not all the time. A modded out se Cu24 floyd made the most sense to me vs core for limited use. I really debated a DW, and that's what got me down the mod path.. I couldn't be happier with my se Cu24 Floyd.

Well now I'm having second thoughts. My SE Custom isn't really that different from my McCarty... hotter, thinner neck, scooped in the mids, a little more brash. So it is a little tricky to justify spending $1200-$1500 just to replace the SE. Ah indecision.
Yeah I bought a couple of used S2s under a grand recently from Daves in LA crosse...fantastic guitars!!

What about an s2 standard 24? Those can be had for a smokin deal used.. Then you could have an all hog guitar with the s2 standard, floyd with maple cap for your se cu24, and your McCarty. If you ask me, used is the way to go all day regardless of the S2 model. Heck, I've seen them pop up as cheap as used a se, or darn close. No brainer

I like a Floyd myself, but not all the time. A modded out se Cu24 floyd made the most sense to me vs core for limited use. I really debated a DW, and that's what got me down the mod path.. I couldn't be happier with my se Cu24 Floyd.
Yeah that's a good option for sure. Standards are going for $800-1000. Tricky thing with the standards is the cheaper they are, the less likely they are to list neck size (regular vs thin). So if I want to know what neck I'm getting, then I'm almost spending the $1200 that I would spend on a Custom so why not get the Custom. But then if the Custom doesn’t actually do much for me tonally and is just good for the wide thin neck, why not get something else with the wide thin neck. Prob need to cool it for a bit and play all my guitars to see what my need really is here.

Back