SE Paul's Guitar vs McCarty...big difference ?

DogPhishHead

I'm looking for some honest feedback gang.
I have a 2011 Smokeburst McCarty w/ 57/08s.
I've got some cash set aside to treat myself to a new axe, but the funds are limited.
My job has been killing me the past few months, and I'd like a little something to get my spirits up.

I'd like a new SE Hollowbody, but that's beyond my means right now (a certain significant other
went WAY overboard on Christmas gifts and my disposable income "me" funds are low :()

I really dig the vibe of the SE Paul's guitar from the videos, it seems like a bright, more bouncy toned guitar than my McCarty. I think the individual coil splits might suit my wants for some Garcia/Mayer Dead-like noodling. Are these two mahogany/maple capped guitars sonically different enough to justify sharing the same guitar rack ? The basic equipment and look of the SE Paul's is stellar, just a well put together pacakge.
Or, do I just have money burning a hole in my pocket looking for a PRS to acquire as a certain online dealer has a few nice "used" models for a very reasonable price.

Thanks in advance

A McCarty with 57/08’s should have a very thick muscular tone. Me likey! And I’m saving for the hollowbody as we speak.

I like the Paul’s SE very much, all the ones I’ve played are very light and resonant, and the coil tapping is definitely a step up from other SE’s. Waiting to try them in the 35th.

Order placed...this on is one it's way from Wisconsin...#nowthewait

B19838.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been very impressed just watching the many YouTube reviews of the SE Paul’s. My gut feel is that PRS have put some special effort into this model...

As for my own TCI Paul’s guitar, what can I say, I’m really impressed. Especially the singlecoil tones - really ear-catching!

Back