SE One: The mods don't stop, stainless edition

garrett

Well, eventually I'll HAVE to stop modding this thing, as there isn't much left. :oops:

As part of its beater cred, the 8th fret had a good bit of sprout on the treble side. The guitar still played pretty darn good, but the sprout was noticeable. I had declared the guitar a keeper, so it was just a matter of waiting for the right time to go all-in with a stainless refret.

The right time is now, so it's fresh off the bench at Aperio Guitar with a new nut and stainless 6150 frets. Should have it back in my hands early next week. Greg does excellent work and when I was still living in Atlanta I got to visit his workshop and see several examples of his handiwork. He's a great guy to deal with and takes pictures of the process, too.

This guitar usually photographs really well, but it's actually fairly rough. Here's the nut that was on it when I bought it. The smears around the truss rod opening are dried glue. :rolleyes:

b5nmaIZ.jpg

Looks like the nut came off cleanly. I was a little scared about that, given the glue situation.

tA374lk.jpg

Moons are the best inlay...

OiydZaT.jpg

Frets! And Greg cut me a custom bone nut for proper fit.

XOscDEK.jpg

Super excited to get this bad boy back. I have three other guitars with stainless frets and I love how they play.

Nice upgrades! I put a core nut on mine, locking tuners, and adjustable stoptail.

I definitely like the current PRS core nut formula, but bone is classic. I thought about doing the bridge, but I love the patina on the stock one. The plating is hazy and peeling in areas. My compromise was the MannMade brass studs, which get a patina of their own quickly.

I can't wait to get my hands on that!! I have been intrigued by that guitar since I saw you installed the Paul's pickup. I'll bring the pink sparkle CE...

Yeah man! Those two will make a heck of a pair.

Dyn-O-mite! Stainless is a great fret alternative and have recently joined the fan base after my Cabronita build...6100 stainless on a roasted maple WF-like neck. When I burn thru these on the One, I’ll consider following your lead. Very cool!

Got the guitar back yesterday and it's aces! It now plays exceptionally well all the way up and down the neck. The fretboard is silky smooth and I'm surprised at just how much I notice and appreciate that. Fret ends feel good and while there are a few tool marks and a slight roll on parts of the fretboard edges, there are no finish chips. Well-fitted bone nut.

Tone-wise, I don't think there's any difference at all. There may be slightly more snap to the unplugged tone, but that could be due just as much to new strings and a lower setup.

Love this fretboard!
gJCS7qF.jpg

Bone nut. No more ugly gap with glue squishing out.
XjlsJMT.jpg

There was one little bit of chip-out between the 18th fret and the moon. Ideally would've wanted this filled, but it's hardly noticeable and doesn't impact playability.
M5u3akz.jpg

Haven't played it much yet, but so far I'd say this was a worthwhile investment for a keeper that is going to see plenty of play time for years to come.

Got the guitar back yesterday and it's aces! It now plays exceptionally well all the way up and down the neck. The fretboard is silky smooth and I'm surprised at just how much I notice and appreciate that. Fret ends feel good and while there are a few tool marks and a slight roll on parts of the fretboard edges, there are no finish chips. Well-fitted bone nut.

Tone-wise, I don't think there's any difference at all. There may be slightly more snap to the unplugged tone, but that could be due just as much to new strings and a lower setup.

Love this fretboard!
gJCS7qF.jpg

Bone nut. No more ugly gap with glue squishing out.
XjlsJMT.jpg

There was one little bit of chip-out between the 18th fret and the moon. Ideally would've wanted this filled, but it's hardly noticeable and doesn't impact playability.
M5u3akz.jpg

Haven't played it much yet, but so far I'd say this was a worthwhile investment for a keeper that is going to see plenty of play time for years to come.
So nice!

Back