SE Hollowbody Standard vs Hollowbody II

Markal

I am very interested in trying the SE Hollowbody but a bit torn between the standard and “II” versions. I read through the long thread on the Hollowbody and opinions seem to be mixed. Most seem to say the II with the maple is brighter, and that seems to come through in demos. My question is - is the Standard pretty dark sounding? I don’t want a dark guitar. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll get a chance to try and compare these since nobody local has both.

I had a Standard, and loved it. It was slightly darker than my Hollowbody piezo is, but not overly dark. Think all mahogany. The only reason I sold it was because the piezo came in blue, and I have good use for a piezo guitar. In a perfect world, I’d have one of each, because they do sound different. I’ve always been a fan of laminated true hollowbodies. I had a core hollowbody for a hot minute, and actually prefer the laminates. The tonal response on these is very even, top to bottom. The II has slightly more high end, and the standard has a very full bodied tone. I put NYXL’s on both of them, which made them both a little brighter. Just move your amp settings, and either one should be a keeper.

The standard is more ‘woody’ sounding. I agree with dogrocketp - I went for the Piezo because of the color, and would like to have both. If guitar playing was my #1 hobby I would have both.

I had a Standard, and loved it. It was slightly darker than my Hollowbody piezo is, but not overly dark. Think all mahogany. The only reason I sold it was because the piezo came in blue, and I have good use for a piezo guitar. In a perfect world, I’d have one of each, because they do sound different. I’ve always been a fan of laminated true hollowbodies. I had a core hollowbody for a hot minute, and actually prefer the laminates. The tonal response on these is very even, top to bottom. The II has slightly more high end, and the standard has a very full bodied tone. I put NYXL’s on both of them, which made them both a little brighter. Just move your amp settings, and either one should be a keeper.

The standard is more ‘woody’ sounding. I agree with dogrocketp - I went for the Piezo because of the color, and would like to have both. If guitar playing was my #1 hobby I would have both.

Thanks. I was hoping to go play at least the II at the local guitar center (only local place that has them in stock) but our big a$$ snowstorm is rolling in now so I better hunker down. I might order one and see how I like it. I’m also consider an Ibanez semi-hollow, but think I’d prefer the PRS fully hollowbody at this point. Decisions, decisions (but very fun decisions!)

Well, I went ahead and ordered a SE Hollowbody II. The only place I could find one locally was guitar center and, for various reasons, I just didn’t want to make this purchase at Guitar Center (they get enough of my money!). I ordered one for a decent price from a smaller shop via Reverb. Should be here in a week or so. I’m excited! And if I’m being honest I’ll probably buy that Ibanez one of these days too, cuz, ya know...

Well, I received my HB II and I’m quite happy. The wider neck requires some adjustment on my part, but I am getting used to it. It looks great and sounds great (though for some reason my link from Google photos won’t work, so no picture).

Last edited:
Back