SE Hollowbody II Piezo Battery compartment - battery replacement method?

JackB1

What is the proper way to replace the 9v battery? It seems very tough to get in and out and also do you need to push the battery up against the terminals until they snap in, because it's tough to do once it's locked in with that metal clip holding it down.

What is the proper way to replace the 9v battery? It seems very tough to get in and out and also do you need to push the battery up against the terminals until they snap in, because it's tough to do once it's locked in with that metal clip holding it down.
In what? A car? A TV remote?

If it's a car battery do not test it by putting your tongue on the terminals!

I am not sure how the one in the SE looks. It is a bit of a challenge to replace them in the core and HB guitars that I have. I don't know if the SE is the same.

Its this weird little solid compartment that snaps out with some tiny soldered wires to the circuit board. It will not take much movement to break those wires.

OP, you can try widening the large plug a little on the battery before it is inserted. It does take some careful force to get it in there.

Its this weird little solid compartment that snaps out with some tiny soldered wires to the circuit board. It will not take much movement to break those wires.

OP, you can try widening the large plug a little on the battery before it is inserted. It does take some careful force to get it in there.
Yes its a horrible design. Every PRS with this battery compartment should also come with a free soldering kit

Yes its a horrible design. Every PRS with this battery compartment should also come with a free soldering kit
I snapped the wires trying to do it because it seems impossible not to with this design. I just bought a 9V battery clip off Amazon for $3 with the standard black snap on and 2 wires coming off it and connected them. There is enough space to tuck the clip in the compartment and it’s working great and now has plenty of wire length to be pulled out and replaced.

I snapped the wires trying to do it because it seems impossible not to with this design. I just bought a 9V battery clip off Amazon for $3 with the standard black snap on and 2 wires coming off it and connected them. There is enough space to tuck the clip in the compartment and it’s working great and now has plenty of wire length to be pulled out and replaced.
I saw a whole battery compartment replacement by Gotoh for about $15 online. When you open it, no wires appear, only the battery terminal. You just pop the new battery in and shut it. Think it would work?

I just had mine soldered back on. I was using duct tape for about a year. I changed the battery 4 times before the wires snapped. I expect them to snap again when I need to change the battery.

You can't even be delicate with it because the battery is SO tight in the holder.

My method... get the husband. Pop out the battery contraption from hell. Hold the freakin thing very tight while said husband uses a screwdriver to pry out the old battery. Once it's out without breaking any wires, mop the brow and swear a little bit. Then, hold the freakin battery thing very tight while husband forces the new battery into position. Swear a whole lot more as you put the contraption back in its compartment. Voila!

That is the answer. It's a two person job.

With all the fussiness with the battery compartment, it's still one of the best guitars available IMHO.

I just had mine soldered back on. I was using duct tape for about a year. I changed the battery 4 times before the wires snapped. I expect them to snap again when I need to change the battery.
beyond
You can't even be delicate with it because the battery is SO tight in the holder.
Luckily I am able to do the repair myself but this is, to say the least, poor workmanship. How they allow this guitar with such a flaw to leave the factory is beyond words. You gotta wonder if this guitar was built in someone's garage! But then again, I've seen guitars built in a garage that were made with more pride than this guitar.

This is the third time I'll be soldering the wires back to the battery connector. Pretty sad. Take a look at Taylor guitars to see how it's done! Very disappointing... Not to mention the top strap holding screw is stripped! More poor workmanship. Sorry for sounding so negative, but this is so frustrating!

Last edited:
Back