SE finish

JJ Leip

I am the proud owner of a new Custom 24 SE red burst - that now has a very small dent/chip in the clear coat. What type of clear coat is on these guitars? Kind of frustrating as it happened when the ball end of a string hit the front of the guitar as it unwound from the package. 28 years of playing guitar and that’s a first.

Seems a bit mad! I wouldn't think there was enough velocity or mass to dent the surface. I have on occasion had a heavy strap lock swing into my similar Fire red floys CU 24 SE and not gotten a dent.

Sweetwater claims the finish is V12. But it's not mentioned on the PRS site. Some kind of poly plastic. If its a large shallow dent that hasn't broken the finish then you could try steaming. If it has broken the finish but not ruined the coloring then you could just fill with superglue and carefully fine sand it, then use rubbing compound and finally car polish to pretty much make it invisible. If it's black you can mix in some stain with the superglue. Red might be hard to match though.

Mad is correct! Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen to scratch a guitar.

Thanks for the info...it is just in the clear coat. From what I’ve researched, the superglue trick may be the best fix.

Check out Stewart MacDonald super glue repair on you tube, if you haven’t already.

SEs are poly same as anything else coming out fo Korea and Indonesian factories from memory. You should be able to repair it with superglue and some patience. Don't just use the glue in your drawer, go buy some nice fresh thin stuff, buy some razor blades, some polish and sandpaper and do it properly. There are plenty of tutorials on the net, the stew mac one as mentioned above seems pretty good

Back