SE Custom 24 Year of Build and Color Range Question

decap

I ordered and paid for an SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst the other day, there were none in stock so it had to be ordered in. The guy at the shop called the next day to inform me that the distributor does not have any tobacco sunbursts in stock but does have a vintage sunburst. When I researched the vintage sunburst I found that the last time this color was used for the SE Custom 24 was in 2012, but also for 2015's anniversary line. I have no idea about guitar model turnover speed, whether or not each years range sells out before the next years range are being sold by shops
So I have a couple of questions in relation to this situation

1) Is my assumption about the vintage sunburst's year correct, is it 2012 or did they use the same finish for '13 and '14?

2) Should I care if the guitar is made in '12, '13 or '14 ie. is there any difference in the quality or features or should I not worry about it ? (from what I researched they all seem to have the same features)

FYI: I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't just waltz on into the shop and try them out unfortunately >_<

thanks in advance

I just bought a custom 24 se with a Floyd rose and that's a guitar that just came out this year.

yea, i'm aware of the floyd rose custom 24 vintage sunburst but i didn't mention it in my post because its a different model

No the beveled top and coil tap have been present since the 2012 se custom 24 model
http://youtu.be/LL6nvCmVmvw
Very nice guitar btw ;) is there information on your guitar that states that it was made in 2014?

Last edited:
No the beveled top and coil tap have been present since the 2012 se custom 24 model
http://youtu.be/LL6nvCmVmvw
Very nice guitar btw ;) is there information on your guitar that states that it was made in 2014?

A slight correction, if I may. I have a 2013 model and it does not have the beveled top. I looked at the video again for a refresher and Paul refers to the 2012 model having a semi curve top. So while not carved like a core model, at the same time it is not beveled. I do have the coil tap, of course, and the 3 way blade switch, as well as the logo on the TRC. You are correct on the color offerings, however. At the same time, I have a Paul's Guitar (see avatar) that is a Tobacco Sunburst and it looks different from the color on the PRS products page showing available colors for the SE Custom 24. Mine is more pronounced from the edges to the center. But, YMMV... .

they looks awesome... but i still prefer the spalted maple limited edition, but i couldn't find one... so i bought the vintage sunburst instead... so which one are you getting? let us know, pics please...

i'm getting the vintage sunburst too, it's the only one the australian prs distributor has atm

Back