SE Custom 24 & S2 Custom 22 Sound Differences

YetAnotherRushFan

Hello,

I own one of each of these guitars. I love them both, but I have this question regarding their difference in sound on the bridge pickup (I am not talking about neck pick up differences which I realize are due to the 22 versus 24 fret pickup location difference).

Basically, the S2 sounds meatier and darker than the SE. I can think of several possible reasons for this:

- The S2 uses heavier 10 gauge strings
- The S2 is a higher quality instrument (or just uses different/better wood, etc.)
- The sound is attributable to the difference in pickups, which I understand are not exactly the same.

The main reason I am asking is that I'd like to find a way to get my SE to sound more like the S2. If I can do this by going to heavier strings, I will do it.

On that note, is it possible to go into tens on the SEs without any adjustments to the nut in peoples. experience?

Last edited:
SE have maple necks while S2 have mahogany necks. That might also contribute to the difference in sound you described. A maple neck usually make for brighter guitars.

I entirely missed that. Thanks. (Also, the SE neck is thinner... I have a hard time believing that would make a real difference.)

+1 on the neck wood. I think the S2 also has thinner and more resonant finish, but that probably takes a back seat to the maple neck.

Don't forget the position of the neck pickup is different between 22 fret & 24 fret guitars. 22-fret guitar will have a "warmer/boomier" neck pickup due to being further from the bridge than a 24-fret guitar.

Don't forget the position of the neck pickup is different between 22 fret & 24 fret guitars. 22-fret guitar will have a "warmer/boomier" neck pickup due to being further from the bridge than a 24-fret guitar.

Op is only comparing sound in the bridge pickup position.

I have this question regarding their difference in sound on the bridge pickup (I am not talking about neck pick up differences which I realize are due to the 22 versus 24 fret pickup location difference).

aren't pickups both the same Korean G&B?

As far as dark or bright guitars, I'm experimenting with Elixir strings these days. Since polyweb is supposed to be a little warmer I stuck them on a guitar I perceived as too bright. It either made a difference or I'm imagining it. Either way I'm happier.
Similar on my CE24 Standard which is missing the maple top (although it has the maple neck) and sounded a little too dark to me, so I stuck Nanoweb on there since that is supposed to be a little brighter. Similarly, I like the way it sounds now.

Op is only comparing sound in the bridge pickup position.
Thanks. That's what I get for drinking decaff.

That said, Esquire players often insist that an unused neck pickup in a Tele influences the sound compared to an Esquire (no neck pickups). If there's any water to that argument, then the placement of an unused neck pickup could influence the sound of the bridge pickup?

Last edited:
Back