SE 245s...

Robert Lavin

Hi All,

I'm a relatively recent PRS owner but seem to have caught the bug.

I've ended up with an SE245 but was wondering what the difference between this and the Flamed Maple topped version is? Is it just a veneer or is there a maple cap like there (apparently) is with the Custom 22/24? The price difference here in the UK suggests an awfully expensive piece of veneer if that's all it is...

I feel like I've done a lot of searching but not found a definite answer.

Thanks all,

Rob.

The maple veneered one has a plain maple cap under the veneer.

The difference in price will be as a result of different construction processes and materials.

There will be a tonal difference and of course a cosmetic one also.

Maybe @ScottR could chime in, he has a bonnie SE245.

The maple veneered one has a plain maple cap under the veneer.

The difference in price will be as a result of different construction processes and materials.

There will be a tonal difference and of course a cosmetic one also.

Thank you.

I'd seen conflicting info on the web so, given the forum where I asked this question, I'm going to take that as definitive!

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Apologies, on line description indicates no maple cap under the veneer.

Just goes to show the great value of the standard!

Ok, cancel that! PRS site says bevelled maple cap, veneer and mahogany back.

So yes my information is “definitive” :D

No worries.

This is the problem I'm getting. In some places it says there is a maple cap, in others it doesn't.

Does the year of manufacture make a difference?

I can't speak to differences in model years, but I'm pretty sure any SE model with a maple veneer has a maple cap underneath. I have an SE245(2019) and it definitely has a maple cap. You can see the different woods in the cut. I don't think PRS would "cheap out" and just put a maple veneer over the body wood.

I can't speak to differences in model years, but I'm pretty sure any SE model with a maple veneer has a maple cap underneath. I have an SE245(2019) and it definitely has a maple cap. You can see the different woods in the cut. I don't think PRS would "cheap out" and just put a maple veneer over the body wood.

The old SE Soapbar II maple is the only one without a maple top under the veneer IIRC.

Back