SE 245 Upgrades.

The Grover 406C did not fit on my SE 245 Standard. The posts were too short for the thickness of the headstock. For the low E string the hole on the post was not quite clear of the nut. The string would have fit through the hole but the string angle from the nut to the post would have been pretty step. So while you may be able to get this to work, the string angle is going to be pretty step and will result in tuning instability. The post needs to be at least 1centimeter long. Or rmore precisely, the string hole needs to be 1 centimeter from the base of the tuner. If in doubt, measure that distance on the SE tuner post.

Just get the hipshot tuners with the ump plate. Super simple, guarantee figment and it’s cheap in $$$$$. I have the open back locking on my se and keeps in tuned

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am interested in doing some 245 upgrades, myself. I am new here, and don't know if it's better to jump into this existing 245 upgrades thread, or start my own, so I apologize if it's inappropriate to post here!

Like virtually everyone else that has one, I love my 245. I have had it for 8 years now, and for the most part it has held up really well. The finish on the bridge is getting worn down a bit, and I'm having an issue where the neck pickup is cutting out intermittently. I'm assuming that's a wiring issue with the pickup selector switch. For whatever reason, I feel compelled to switch everything over to gold hardware. It's the "tortoise shell" color, and I think it would look amazing with gold hardware.

I'd like to drop in some gold Dimarzio PAF's, and I'm seeing some good recommendations for alternate tuners here. Personally, I love the planet waves "trimlock" locking tuners, as well.

The replacement bridges just seem* crazy expensive to me, particularly for the price point on the guitar as a whole. Has anyone used a Tune-O-Matic style tailpiece for a wraparound bridge, like Gibson does on the Juniors? For instance, a Kluson replacement tailpiece is $30. Any issues with that? It seems to have worked out well for the juniors, but are there major intonation issues?

Thanks in advance!

*edit: typo

Having been around the block and back with mine, I’ll offer what worked for me.

Pickup changes are an entertaining and essential part of guitar ownership. How do you know this guitar is the best sounding bash-master in the planet if you don’t make it suck first? ;) Bridge-wise, I wouldn’t bother unless you’re putting 13s on it. PRS has mastered the wrap-around tail piece and wouldn’t dare make a change with mine. It’s pure genius and nowhere like the original Junior atrocity (I have a ‘56). Tuners, I recommend looking at Mannmade conversion of the stock tuners. They’re <$100 and fit perfectly because, well, they came off your guitar in the first place!

Otherwise, tweak the electronics to taste and enjoy. It’s such a great instrument.

Oh, and if you decide to spend more on the pickups than you did the guitar, you’ll get no surprised or disapproving lols from me. :D

Having been around the block and back with mine, I’ll offer what worked for me.

Pickup changes are an entertaining and essential part of guitar ownership. How do you know this guitar is the best sounding bash-master in the planet if you don’t make it suck first? ;) Bridge-wise, I wouldn’t bother unless you’re putting 13s on it. PRS has mastered the wrap-around tail piece and wouldn’t dare make a change with mine. It’s pure genius and nowhere like the original Junior atrocity (I have a ‘56). Tuners, I recommend looking at Mannmade conversion of the stock tuners. They’re <$100 and fit perfectly because, well, they came off your guitar in the first place!

Otherwise, tweak the electronics to taste and enjoy. It’s such a great instrument.

Oh, and if you decide to spend more on the pickups than you did the guitar, you’ll get no surprised or disapproving lols from me. :D

Thanks for your reply! I'll check out those mannmade conversions. Functionally, the current tailpiece is great. I am strictly tempted by this idea of converting to gold hardware...but I am balking at spending $125-200 on a tailpiece. I've always liked the idea and look of the simple ToM wraparound bridge...but it sounds like you haven't liked that on your Junior. I definitely don't want to get into a situation where I'm taking a step back in functionality/playability for purely aesthetic reasons. That said, I'm looking at the "Golden Age Lightning Wraparound Bridge" on Stewmac, and it looks like that could be an affordable alternative, if it fits--that's my next step, figuring out the dimensions!

Pickups I'm always happy to spend a bit of money on, though I haven't gone down the boutique rabbit hole. I have been content with the SD/Dimarzio offerings on my other guitars!

Thanks again!

Not to throw gas on the fire, but after I put a set of Duncan Antiquity humbuckers in the SE245, I wondered what took me so long. They are perfect in my guitar for me. Don’t let me entice you to spend >$250 on pickups, but if you’ve got them hanging around, just do it (if you want vintage crunch deluxe).

I love the antiquities! Personal favorite pickups for me, as well. I’ve got them in my explorer. I also love the ‘59’s. The DiMarzio PAFs are just a set that I’ve been interested in for awhile, and the price is awesome! Sounds like we are of the same mind about the antiquities though!

Thanks for your reply! I'll check out those mannmade conversions. Functionally, the current tailpiece is great. I am strictly tempted by this idea of converting to gold hardware...but I am balking at spending $125-200 on a tailpiece. I've always liked the idea and look of the simple ToM wraparound bridge...but it sounds like you haven't liked that on your Junior. I definitely don't want to get into a situation where I'm taking a step back in functionality/playability for purely aesthetic reasons. That said, I'm looking at the "Golden Age Lightning Wraparound Bridge" on Stewmac, and it looks like that could be an affordable alternative, if it fits--that's my next step, figuring out the dimensions!

Pickups I'm always happy to spend a bit of money on, though I haven't gone down the boutique rabbit hole. I have been content with the SD/Dimarzio offerings on my other guitars!

Thanks again!

I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure someone on here put a Gotoh wraparound bridge on an SE and it was a direct fit.

They make a gold one, they’re not cheap, but it would be worth it as they’re well made.

I can’t remember who did it, but hopefully someone will chime in.

Hi guys, did any of you ever successfully install vintage wiring i'm in the market for some looking for advice

Not to throw gas on the fire, but after I put a set of Duncan Antiquity humbuckers in the SE245, I wondered what took me so long. They are perfect in my guitar for me. Don’t let me entice you to spend >$250 on pickups, but if you’ve got them hanging around, just do it (if you want vintage crunch deluxe).
Well, I took a right turn. I ended up getting a 490/498 set on Reverb for a steal. I've got an LP Custom already, so...they're a known quantity, that I like a lot. shrug. Kept project costs down, which I also like.

Well, I took a right turn. I ended up getting a 490/498 set on Reverb for a steal. I've got an LP Custom already, so...they're a known quantity, that I like a lot. shrug. Kept project costs down, which I also like.
Interesting. I would have considered a Burstbucker 1+2 set. Nice stuff. And because variety is the spice of life, go plug it in and crank up the amp!

I’ve had the 490/498’s in my LP Studio for a while now. Keep thinking I’m going to swap them but then I play it and change my mind. I think they sometimes get an unjustified bad rap, but I quite like them. Enjoy!

Back