Scratches on silver PRS pickup cover.

PhillyAl

Does anyone know how to remove scratches from the silver PRS pickup covers without damaging the "shine.

Does anyone know how to remove scratches from the silver PRS pickup covers without damaging the "shine.
Pickup plating is a thin layer of metal deposited electrically on a base metal.

A polish abrasive enough to remove scratches in metal would likely remove much of the nickel plating along with the scratches. Not the best outcome.

If the scratches bug you, the pickup covers can be replaced - you'll want the covers' holes properly spaced, and to match the rest of the PRS, nickel plating is what's used, not chrome (they have a different hue).

As Bogner suggests, I'd use a light polish that isn't too abrasive like Blue Magic or Flitz, shine 'em up as best you can, and leave well enough alone.

Define Scratches. Are These Really Faint Or Are They Deep? If They Are Rough To The Touch There Isn't Much You Can Do. Blue Magic Is Worth A Shot.
They are deep. Is it difficult to just replace the pickup cover? Can you buy just the cover?

They are deep. Is it difficult to just replace the pickup cover? Can you buy just the cover?
They Will Need To Be Replaced Based Off What You Said Description Wise As Deep Scratches Won't Polish Out. Replacement Pickup Covers Are Available And They Are Not Difficult To Replace If You Have The Right Tools and Knowledge. In Most Instances, Solder And A Soldering Iron Is What You Need. I Have Never Looked For A How To Video But I Am Sure YT Has Plenty To View And See If You Are Comfotable With Doing It Yourself. A Proper Guitar Tech Can Easily Do It If You Are Not Comfortable. Good Luck And If You Have Further Questions or Need More Help, I Will Do My Best To Help You. :)

Last edited:
Back