SC-J 245 Pickups?

W. Scott Mohn

I just bought an SC-J Limited, 2009. I have never played one and it will not be delivered until next week. What does "SC-J" stand for - something, something - Jazz? Can I still get the 245 Jazz pick-ups from PRS? I will only be playing Classic Country and Jazz Standards.

I may also be interested in getting a new tailpiece to replace the Bigsby. Do you know if those are still available from PRS or can you recommend an appropriate one?

Thank you very much for your help

Regards, Scott

Yes, that is my guess now too. Single Cut Jazz, Limited Run. Someone told me there were only 300 of the Limited Run Models made. If that is the case, I know I am unbelievably lucky to have gotten one so quickly, and purportedly in Excellent Condition. I have really been happy with the PRS guitars I have gotten and only wish I had discovered them many years ago. I even lived in Maryland for about 17 years before my wife and I retired and moved down to NC.
Thank you for your help! Stay safe! Regards, Scott

200 for the US and 100 for the rest of the world. Sorry I don’t have answers for your other questions though. My SC-J is amazing. Feels and sound great. It’s a truly wonderful guitar

Wow, I keep learning things I would have never guessed. One of two hundred in the USA - and I was able to trade for one when I could not afford to buy another guitar!

I am also so glad to hear from someone who actually has one and loves the sound and feel of it. What kind of strings do you use on yours? Does it have a Bigsby?

I tried a Gibson L-5. I liked it but it just didn't satisfy me for some unknown reason. I gave the L-5 to my oldest daughter as part of her inheritance. She loves it.

Last week I traded my Gibson ES-5 for another PRS guitar, a 2001 McCarty Hollow-body II Piezo. The ES-5 was the last non-PRS guitar I had. I could not afford to buy any more guitars so I was lucky to trade my last two guitars for PRS models - the McCarty and the SC-J. My friend, who owns the local guitar shop and has dealt with the Gibson companies for years, told me the ES-5 was, in his mind, a Super 400 with an extra pickup. Again, I liked the ES-5 a lot. But again it just did not seem to have the great Jazz sound I expected.

However. when I listen to some of the SC-J YouTube videos, I hear a real big, warm Jazz sound. Some sound harsh. That worried me some. But, if XL strings eliminate that, it could be just what my ears have been looking for since I started playing guitar on a $10 guitar in VietNam in 1971. :)

Thank you for your information and help. I sincerely appreciate it. Be Safe!

Regards, Scott

Glad to be of some help.
I’ve used roundwound and flatwound both. I like D'Addario strings. I’ve had their 12s on it and chromes for flat wound, 12 or 13, I can’t remember. I use 11 on regular electric guitars. The flatwound of course give it the expected jazz type sound but with the right settings it cans still sound great in blues territory. I have flats in it now. I typically don’t like chromes but in this guitar they work for me. I forget what I have for my other flatwounds but I’ll check.

Mine has a bigsby. I’m a bigsby fan so it’s nice when I want to use it, but I don’t use it a lot.

I’ve never played an ES-5 and only played L-5 once. I have an ES-175 and an L-4 and the SC-J is a different animal for sure. It’s a thinner body than those. It feels better to play in my opinion. Sound wise, you will have to decide on your own for sure. Mine has Archtop pickups which I really like.

I don’t think it sounds harsh at all. Probably the video compression. You may need to try different strings to get the sound you’re after.

The quality is exceptional on the SC-J.

Thanks, again.

The quality and playability of PRS guitars are what first attracted me to them. It is good to know I will get the same attributes in the SC-J. I will also give the Bigsby a try. Wildwood Guitars promised to carefully check it out before shipment.

I did not know that video compression could have the effect you describe. I am always glad to be learning anything new!

Thanks again for your insights.

Regards, Scott

Back