Same Neck as SC

Dondante

I owned a Pre lawsuit SC when they were first released. I also owned a McCarty but found the SC I had to be the perfect playing guitar. Unfortunately I had to sell the guitar years ago and I am now in the market for another.

What other models have the same neck as that particular SC? For some reason the McCarty didn't play as well to me as the SC.

Thanks in advance for input.

That guitar would have had a Wide-Fat neck. So, incidentally, would the McCarty of the same era. Each individual neck varies a tiny bit due to hand sanding and finishing.

In any event, if you liked the SC, and want the exact same neck, you'd need to find something that came out before PRS switched to the Pattern neck. The Pattern is the closest you'll come to the W/F if you want a new guitar, unless you get Private Stock to build you one with the older spec.

Try a Custom22 or anything with the original wide-fat neck carve.

Hey! Posted at the same time as Les! :)

Body thickness, tuners, trem vs stoptail (I realize that the CU22 comes in stop tail too), and pickups

Note that it might not just be the neck profile you found appealing on the SC.

The way the neck joins with the body is different on a SC vs the typical DC (CU22, McCarty, etc).

That might have played into it just as much.

Go try a SC at your local store, even an S2 or SE if available. See if you like it.

So what's the deal with the S2's? So many new and different models now.

A long distance friend of mine and long time PRS owner and current owner of a McCarty and cu22owner swears by the DGT.

Btw. The main problem is that I don't have a local dealer to try anything put. So I'm flying blind unfortunately.

The S2s are between the SEs and Core lines. They're made in Maryland like the Cores, but they use some overseas parts like the SEs and they have simpler carves/etc. than the Cores.

Basically they're trying to give you a more Core-like US built guitar at closer to an SE price.

Was the pre lawsuit SC a 25" scale?

Opinions on neck size for older hands? I'm now 44 and haven't played in years. Think I'll still find as comfortable as I did?

I believe mine (2006 SC) is pre-lawsuit, and it is a 25" scale. It's comfortable enough, though I am used to my SC245 neck which is similar.

If you're looking for comfort, I strongly recommend the SC245 (or the new SC 594). My 245 is the most comfortable guitar I've played. I always hated anything that wasn't 25.5", but MAN the 245 is nice to play. Like butter. I also recommend the 1-piece non-adjustable bridge. That feels very slinky on the 245.

Incidentally, I play it with 0.010-0.046 in E-standard tuning.

Opinions on neck size for older hands? I'm now 44 and haven't played in years. Think I'll still find as comfortable as I did?
Yes they are 25" scale. W/F necks are not supper fat. I think they feel great. I like W/T too though so I guess I'm not picky.

To be honest, I'm a bit older than you and find all of the PRS neck sizes comfortable - Wide Thin (Pattern Thin), Wide fat (Pattern), Regular (Pattern regular). And my hands are small compared to most adult European males of my height (5'8").

The trick is to exercise before playing - run up and down a bunch of chromatic scales, stretch, etc. It really makes a heck of a difference.

Back