Saddened from afar for a musican friend of mine who taught me as much as anyone.

Parralax view

I lived across the street from a world class guitar player in Dallas long ago. We were jam buddies for 20 yrs, every Friday night when he wasn't gigging. I robbed him blind lick wise and I wouldn't be the player I am now without his acquaintance. He chided me incessantly about owning a PRS..."They sell men's guitars where you got that one".;-)

He was already addicted to meth in snorted form. My old ex loved him cause he would always bring. I shied away from that, and eventually she left, and I sold my house and moved to Hawaii with my now lady. He was an in demand guy for multiple bands, recordings, etc.

I lost track of my friend for many years until I found him. His first run in with the law was for supplying coke to a well known Brother of the guy we all knew was from Oak Cliff,not hard to figure out... He did a bit on that one. He came home clean but then became homeless when the home his mother left him was lost on the very first property tax installment he couldn't meet.

He became homeless and lived on the streets of Dallas for a while. He found his way back and was living clean, off the street, and becoming in demand again..

About April of last year, they found him in our old neighborhood park, with a guitar, sitting under a tree, dead from a heart attack. I found out about 2 months ago. I don't even know why I'm relating this, but I miss my friend and he was angry with me for moving away and we never quite were the same. Russell Stonecypher was a phenomenal player and singer.

His work can be found on the "Cliffhanger Project" along with other Oak Cliff luminaries of guitar..his version of "Ring in his nose", "Take out some insurance", and Big Legs, tight skirt" are surpassed by no one. He was a badass. RIP my friend.

Sorry to hear this. And it’s never easy to lose a friend. :(

Sad to hear, I had a really great bass player long ago, never was the same after he started using rocks. Certain drugs do those things to people.

I lived across the street from a world class guitar player in Dallas long ago. We were jam buddies for 20 yrs, every Friday night when he wasn't gigging. I robbed him blind lick wise and I wouldn't be the player I am now without his acquaintance. He chided me incessantly about owning a PRS..."They sell men's guitars where you got that one".;-)

He was already addicted to meth in snorted form. My old ex loved him cause he would always bring. I shied away from that, and eventually she left, and I sold my house and moved to Hawaii with my now lady. He was an in demand guy for multiple bands, recordings, etc.

I lost track of my friend for many years until I found him. His first run in with the law was for supplying coke to a well known Brother of the guy we all knew was from Oak Cliff,not hard to figure out... He did a bit on that one. He came home clean but then became homeless when the home his mother left him was lost on the very first property tax installment he couldn't meet.

He became homeless and lived on the streets of Dallas for a while. He found his way back and was living clean, off the street, and becoming in demand again..

About April of last year, they found him in our old neighborhood park, with a guitar, sitting under a tree, dead from a heart attack. I found out about 2 months ago. I don't even know why I'm relating this, but I miss my friend and he was angry with me for moving away and we never quite were the same. Russell Stonecypher was a phenomenal player and singer.

His work can be found on the "Cliffhanger Project" along with other Oak Cliff luminaries of guitar..his version of "Ring in his nose", "Take out some insurance", and Big Legs, tight skirt" are surpassed by no one. He was a badass. RIP my friend.
That's a tough story Jay. Sorry to hear of your loss.

That's heart wrenching bro. Really sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Sucks to lose anyone...especially someone that influences you in a positive light, in any way.
Sorry for your (and everyone's) loss.

Sorry to hear about your friend. This was heartbreaking to read, can’t imagine how much more difficult to experience it.

Thanks. He was more brother than friend. He used to tell me he envied me because I was like a cat and landed on my feet no matter the fall. That wasn't life for him obviously. I was just ruminating about him yesterday and indeed he was a great musician, not just because he was my friend. He was Oak Cliff born and raised and no matter the day or time, you could find Rocky Athus, or Jimmy Vaughan, Christian Brooks or any number of stellar Texas guitar players in his room at the back his house... It was exciting to watch them and join them on occasion...it was a good time for me.

Back