S2 standard and custom 22

S27NJH

Hi all, apologies if this appears to be a daft question.
Firstly, a bit of background. I own 2 USA strats and a les Paul. Like many others, I suffer from back issues and carrying a 10lb les Paul all night leaves me suffering. My strat feels comfortable but lacks that umph that I like for playing hard rock. Playing in a covers band, I like a versatile guitar. Single coil cleans to full on heavy distorted les Paul bridge.
I have been trying to find a guitar that offers comfort, relatively light weight, single coil tones, heavy distorted tones and also a trem. Enter the prs standard/custom 22. It seems to offer so much versatility. Here goes the daft question, apart from the obvious scratch plate, mounting the pickups to it rather than pickup rings on the body, what's the difference? Is there a tonal difference between the 2? I'm trying to understand pros and cons between the 2. I actually really like the standard version. Has a very retro vibe to it. Nowhere close stocks these so I may just have to take a punt on one. Anyone have experience? Anyone able to offer me tonal opinions as well as playing positions and comfort?
many thanks in advance for any help
Nick

Hi Nick,

The only difference (beside the aesthetics) is that S2 Custom have a maple cap, Standard 22 is all mahogany. Custom 22 is snappier and more present, Standard has a more rounded tone.

Hi Nick,

The only difference (beside the aesthetics) is that S2 Custom have a maple cap, Standard 22 is all mahogany. Custom 22 is snappier and more present, Standard has a more rounded tone.

Brilliant, thank you. Well, as an update, I decided to take a road trip yesterday to a shop that had a few options for me to try. I ended up getting a great deal on a S2 Singlecut. I played it for quite a while and was really happy with the tone and above all the comfort. It's nice and light, access all the way up to the 22nd fret, lovely neck profile, slightly thinner than the les Paul. Great guitar. I did have to flip a coin between the singlecut and the custom 22. They are both really nice. The singlecut just had a bit more umph to it to my ears. It's kind of les paulish but snappier. Reminds me of a les Paul mixed with an sg. That's just my ears though. Others may disagree. I've had a few hours play time now and am very impressed. I won't get to crank it in a band environment till next week but so far so good

Hopefully I've got this right. A couple of pictures for you
image_zps88p5l8mv.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back