S2 Standard 22 vs. S2 Studio

rockinforJesus

I may have the chance to up-trade from my 2020 Standard 22 to a Studio and want to weigh it all out.
What does one do better than the other?
I really like the split coil sounds my Standard does, and really like the pickups in humbucker mode with high gain, but lower gain the humbuckers seem a bit dark for my tastes.
Is the bridge humbucker on the Studio that much different than the 58/15 I have in my Standard?
I know the Studio has a lot of flexibility to it, but I have an Am Std Tele and a LP with P90’s, so wondering if the Studio might be a bit redundant for what I already have.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Nothing sounds like the S2 Studio. I’m going to describe it as a Vela that got really funky and didn’t play nice. Although I’m wrestling with the intonation on mine right now, it’s a unique guitar. I really like the bridge with gain, and it splits beautifully. No one can call it dark.The neck will do about anything you could want. It sits somewhere close to a dynasonic, but roll back the tone just a little and it can get very sweet. The two and four positions are great for syncopated rhythms, and the middle is bridge/neck. I play a lot of three pickup guitars these days, and this is right behind my triple soapies.

I have both the S2 Standard 22 and Studio... fantastic guitars. The Studio is definitely different enough to warrant having, if it's the vibe you're after. The Standard 22 is a workhorse rock and roll machine. The Studio is more jangly all around, the bridge Starla pickup is lean and bright (in a good way) and has the best split of any "S" pickup I've used. The singles have a great character to them, not a Strat but borrows some of the great qualities of those tones, like the very direct sounding neck pickup and the famous position 2/4 sounds.

That being said, I also love my Standard 22. The sweet spot would be the Studio, with the stock single coils and a PRS PAF style bridge pickup.

Back